The Brookline ESOL Program offers English instruction for low-income, Limited English Proficient adults in Brookline as a service of the Brookline Housing Authority (BHA). Volunteers are an essential part of the work, enabling us to serve students on a more individual or informal basis than would otherwise be possible.
The ESOL program is currently seeking virtual volunteers to support instruction during our afternoon and evening English and computer literacy classes. Although classes are remote, local candidates are preferred.
· Current classes meet Tuesday and Thursdays in the early afternoon (Mandarin, Russian helpful) or evenings (Spanish helpful)
· Approximately 1.5 hours twice per week for 5-6 weeks, with opportunity for extension
· Attend quarterly team/training/orientation meetings
Qualifications and expectations:
· High level of English language proficiency (native fluency not required; fluency in another language or lived experience learning English are welcome!)
· Have a desire to serve the community through English language support and literacy
· Ability to relate to and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds in a respectful manner, including learners as well as colleagues
· Patience, creativity, and willingness to use a variety of methods to promote communication
· Good sense of humor, flexible, and responsiveness to guidance.
· Reliability and punctuality to consistently meet an 5-6 week commitment
· Prior teaching experience may be helpful, but is not required; Initial training, materials, and on-going support is provided.
· Personal fulfillment through contribution to the community and making a difference in someone’s life
· Learning from the wealth of experience, expertise, and skills that adults bring
· Gained teaching experience and ESOL-related learning opportunities
How to Apply:
· Submit a volunteer application online at www.BrooklineESOL.weebly.com or email a brief statement of interest to esol at brooklinehousing dot org
· Participate in a short phone call with the ESOL Program Director
· Discuss relevant options and next steps with Program Director
The Brookline ESOL Program offers English instruction for low-income, Limited English Proficient adults in Brookline as a service of the Brookline Housing Authority (BHA). Volunteers are an essential part of the work, enabling us to serve…