Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
Since 2003, SKIP has been working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
The Education Department
There are over 300 children between the ages of four and eighteen years old currently enrolled in the education programmes, which makes it the largest department in SKIP. We aim to maintain an exciting, stimulating and engaging learning environment. Our aim is not to replace the local education system, but rather supplement it. Following a curriculum designed especially for the children at SKIP, we provide classes in subjects such as reading comprehension, Maths and Computing.
The Primary Programme
There are 10 classes in our primary programme. Class sizes have around 15 students. Twice a week, the children have afternoon lessons in Maths, English and reading comprehension. Once a week they have an afternoon of Art, Sport and homework help. For more information on our primary programme, please see the website
SKIP is currently seeking volunteers with fluency in Spanish to join their primary teaching staff. If your Spanish ability is not advanced enough, you can still support this programme as a teaching assistant.
Under supervision of the Primary Coordinator, you will be responsible for teaching your own group of children in addition to helping with the homework they receive from their normal school. You will plan and deliver classes in reading comprehension and Maths, following SKIP´s pre-written curriculum. Depending on the number of volunteers we have at the time, you may be working alongside a classroom assistant.
- Fluent/advanced Spanish
- Passion for working with children
- Minimum 4 week commitment
- Experience working with children (particularly relevant for volunteers who can only commit for a month).
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members- you can read bios for all our permanent team on the website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our video
You can also read our Annual Reports
See the website for more information www.skipperu.org
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send completed applications (along with a CV/resume if you wish) to email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: We need volunteers for this programme all year round, so please feel free to apply at any time, regardless of the listed start date.