Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Legal Hand Brownsville
650 Rockaway Avenue
Legal Hand, a community legal resource center with storefront center in Brownsville, is seeking volunteers!
At Legal Hand, our trained community volunteers provide free legal information, assistance and referrals to help community members resolve issues that affect their lives, in areas like housing, family law, immigration, divorce, domestic violence and benefits. Volunteers operate out of easy-to-find, neighborhood storefront centers in Crown Heights and Brownsville, Brooklyn, Highbridge and Tremont, Bronx, and Jamaica, Queens. Legal Hand is run by the Center for Court Innovation in collaboration with three legal services providers: The Legal Aid Society, Legal Services NYC, and New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG).
Legal Hand Volunteers provide legal information, assistance, and referrals from the Crown Heights, Brownsville, and Jamaica storefront offices. Volunteers play an important role in Legal Hand's mission to improve access to justice in low-income communities by directing people with civil legal problems to effective resources and ensuring they know their rights in a given situation. Volunteers are trained at no cost, learning valuable advocacy and legal skills. Legal Hand volunteers come from all backgrounds and walks of life— from college students to retirees, and no experience in legal work is necessary. Volunteers will be paid a stipend of $15 per shift to cover transportation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete trainings in a variety of legal issue areas, including immigration, family law, housing, benefits, and employment.
- Assist residents with variety of legal issues by completing intake, filling out and filing correct paperwork, and making referrals to full-scale representation when needed.
- Track client information in computer database consistently and accurately.
- Conduct outreach around Brownsville to advertise the Legal Hand program.
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 3 hours per week in our office for minimum of 6 months
- Interest in public interest law, human rights and community organizing.
- Must be 18 and over
- Must speak fluent English; ability to speak Spanish a plus but not required.
- Must have strong computer literacy and comfort.
- Knowledge in NYC benefits a plus.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Legal Hand will be holding two volunteer info sessions in - please come to one of them to learn more about becoming a volunteer:
September 11th from 1-2pm
September 12th from 11am-12pm
Both information sessions will be held at Legal Hand, 650 Rockaway Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212.
For more information, or with any questions, please contact Ana Rosa Granados at firstname.lastname@example.org .
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please attend one of the two information. If you are unable to attend either info session, please email email@example.com .