A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
2610 University Ave W, Ste. 450
Prepare + Prosper and its volunteers work with low- to moderate-income people to build financial well-being through free tax preparation and financial services, products, and coaching, and by changing systems to create economic opportunity. In 2017, 532 volunteers prepared taxes for 12,648 people who received $24.7 million in refunds, and 984 people saved $1.54 million of their refunds.
What will I be doing as a TAX REVIEWER?
All tax returns completed by Prepare + Prosper (P+P) volunteers go through a quality review process—this makes P+P top notch in the field of free tax preparation. Volunteer reviewers provide thorough on-site checks of all tax returns prepared by P+P’s volunteer tax preparers, thus ensuring that every customer receives top quality service.
Role and responsibilities:
- Review state and federal tax returns completed by volunteer tax preparers using software called TaxSlayer
- Correct any mistakes made by the preparer to ensure accuracy of all returns
- Compile completed return packet to be given back to customer
- Provide support and leadership to other volunteers, answering tax questions as needed
- Work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers to deliver high-quality service to customers
- Strong background in individual income tax required, with knowledge of low-income tax preferred
- High attention to detail
- Ability to provide feedback to other volunteers in a clear and supportive manner
- Experience with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) preferred
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
- Computer proficient
Timeline and Commitment:
- November or December 2018: Attend a volunteer info session
- December - January: Attend 22 - 25 hours of in-person and online classroom training, and pass open-book IRS certification exams
- January 26 - April 15, 2019: Volunteer one, four hour shift per week and impact the lives of your community!
Locations: P+P operates 8 tax sites across the Twin Cities metro area, with locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington and Hopkins. Volunteers select a tax site that is convenient to work, home, or school. Our main office is in St. Paul off of University Avenue near the intersection University Avenue West & Highway 280.
INTERESTED? Sign up for a volunteer info session here:
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers