Small Business Development Volunteer for Women's Co-op
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by UPAVIM of Guatemala City
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Calle Principal, sector D-1
Colonia La Esperanza, Zona 12
What UPAVIM is all About:
UPAVIM (Unidas para Vivir Mejor- United for a Better Life) is cooperative association of approximately 80 women based in La Esperanza, a community on the outskirts of Guatemala City. UPAVIM began in 1989 as local women organized to create jobs for themselves and provide social services in their community, and over the last three decades they created that reality despite the violence and social challenges that plagues their community.
UPAVIM’s mission is to empower the women of our community, giving them an opportunity to improve their quality of life, for themselves and for their families. We pursue this mission by giving women access to education, employment opportunities, daycare services for their children, health care services, and programs for personal and professional development.
About the Small Business Development Volunteer Position:
UPAVIM is seeking a full-time Small Business Development Volunteer to assist with our Crafts, Bakery, and Soy milk programs. This person should have a strong background and proven track record in assessing business operations, strategic planning, and improving sales and quality standards. This is a job that requires wearing many hats, multitasking, flexibility, being creative and learning all aspects of the businesses. Interpersonal skills and leadership capability are paramount as the volunteer will be working closely with the UPAVIM women who make up the committees which supervise these programs. Fluency in Spanish is necessary and knowledge of, and commitment to, Fair Trade is preferred. A positive attitude and dedication to furthering UPAVIM’s mission are essential. The volunteer must be able to commit to a minimum of 6 months, although a year is ideal.
- Strategy development
- Project management
- Staff management and capacity building
- Project finance management
- Provide counsel and general staff support to all departments within the organization.
- Perform market research and analysis, identify new sales opportunities, and furnishes marketing advice
- Support day to day activities by providing assistance with accounting, managing inventory, purchasing materials, and monitoring quality assurance.
An ideal candidate for this position would possess the following qualities:
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Respectful, compassionate, and supportive in all dealings with artisans, staff and committee members
- Capacity for teamwork as well as ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Disposition and capacity to live modestly and work with limited resources. UPAVIM provides communal housing in close quarters, requiring all volunteers to be respectful and understanding of the needs of others.
- Have substantial experience in business management and/or related roles
- Understanding of inventory management
- Dedication to develop UPAVIM’s programs and business.
- Derive energy from facing challenges and provide actionable solutions.
- Familiarity with ethical and fair trade
- Previous work experience in Latin America
- Excellent verbal and written communication in Spanish and English
- University degree in business, economics, or related field.
- Specialization or experience in private sector development and/or social business development
- Experience in project management, proposal writing, project planning, and/or monitoring & evaluation.
- Housing provided
- The UPAVIM kitchen provides breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday
(Cost of living as a volunteer averages $15-$50 per week, depending on spending preferences)
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please and resume and cover letter to: email@example.com