Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Purpose: The Brockton Public School-AmeriCorps Early Literacy Project is seeking 20 AmeriCorps members to serve as tutors to lead daily, small group early literacy tutoring in five elementary schools. These are full-time volunteer positions, requiring one year of service (minimum 1700 hours).
AmeriCorps Member Responsibilities:
• Responsible for 20 students each, delivering evidence-based Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) to small groups of four students in grades K-3.
• Track student progress through administering pre-and post-Fountas & Pinnell (F & P) Benchmark Assessments.
• Effectively manage student groups to ensure safety of all students.
• Participate in a five-day training in LLI early literacy intervention and assessments before the school year begins, and on-going professional development training and support throughout the school year.
The BPS Early Literacy Project will place four AmeriCorps tutors in each of the following five elementary schools: Angelo, Arnone, Baker, Brookfield, and George.
• Minimum age 18. Minimum Associates degree, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Previous experience working with children.
• Desire to provide small-group literacy tutoring to students in grades K-3. These students are at least 1 to 1.5 years behind grade level in reading.
• Professional in communication with staff, students, and families.
• Must clear CORI, fingerprint, and AmeriCorps Criminal History Check.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Legal Permanent Resident (more details available upon request).
AmeriCorps Program Benefits:
• Annual living allowance of up to $13,732 (paid bi-weekly)
• Segal-AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,920 at the successful completion of the service term (minimum of 1,700 hours).
*Note: A member at minimum age 55 (at start of service) may transfer their Education Award to their child (or step-child), grandchild (or step-grandchild), or foster child.
• Professional development training.
• Health coverage.
• Child care assistance, if eligible.
- Stipend Provided
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a letter of intent and resume to Karen Watkins-Watts and Jane Feroli at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.