Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Las Camelias 431
About Otra Cosa Network
At Otra Cosa Network, our vision is equal opportunities in Peru for everyone to succeed and thrive.
We run five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in Huanchaco and the surrounding shanty towns. Alongside this, we support several partner organisations in the area, as well as in two remote locations in northern Peru.
Summer vacations Swimming Instructor
In past years we have taken the children to the beach during their summer vacations (January-March), and in the summer of 2016 we started to give organised swimming lessons to the children.
We work based on a stage system, where the children work their way through each stage acquiring new skills and expanding their knowledge on water safety. The children will receive a certificate for each stage they pass, which helps both children and volunteers to ’keep the eye on the prize’!
Volunteer roles/Working hours
- Plan and carry out swimming lessons in the ocean with the children from our projects, which is the environment where they will be most likely to swim.
- Plan and carry out swimming lessons in a swimming pool, where you can focus on developing the skills to complete each stage.
- Teach the children about water safety.
- Safely bring the children to and from the ocean/swimming pool
- To be a swimming instructor or have previous experience teaching swimming is not obligatory, but definitely a plus. At least one of the volunteers teaching swimming needs to have previous experience as a swimming instructor.
- Minimum spanish level: Basic to intermediate – the better you can communicate with the children, the safer it will be for them, and the more will they learn. At least one of the volunteers teaching swimming needs an intermediate-advanced level of spanish.
- Previous experience and a passion to work with children
This is an unpaid and self-funded position but we offer ongoing support to all our volunteers.
We can arrange everything for you from here, including your project(s) placement and your housing placement, and we will pick you up as soon as you arrive into Trujillo. You will be given an induction after you arrive and we are here to offer support, advice/help while you´'re here. For example there are weekly volunteer lunches, there is office volunteer drop in schedule and you can always schedule a time to meet with the operations manager or other staff. We can also advise where to go if you're sick and where to find anything you might need.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Visit http://otracosa.org/volunteer/apply/ or email email@example.com