Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
East Side House Settlement
375 East 143rd Street
We are looking to mobilize teams of older people in the Bronx (age 50+) who believe every child should be able to enter kindergarten ready to succeed. Older people have the life experience and power to make this happen - especially when trained and supported by evidence based programs such as Jumpstart. Joining the community corps team means making a huge difference in a child’s life and will set them on a pathway to success throughout their schooling.
United Neighborhood Houses (UNH - http://www.unhny.org/) is a non-profit member organization that supports the work settlement houses do throughout New York. We have partnered with East Side House Settlement (http://www.eastsidehouse.org/) and national pre-school literacy program Jumpstart (https://www.jstart.org/) to mobilize older people (folks age 50+) in the community to deliver the Jumpstart literacy-based curriculum in multiple pre-K classrooms in the Bronx.
UNH and East Side House want to promote stronger community ties by having older community members lead the charge in closing the achievement gap while building literacy and social-emotional skills in the classroom.
Title: Jumpstart Corps Member
Commitment: October 2018 – July 2019
● All Corps members are required to be trained prior to entering the Pre-K classroom.
● Once trained, Corps members work in teams assigned to a specific classroom.
Training: 4 weeks at approximately 8hrs/week prior to entering the classroom.
● 2 hours x2/week spent in the classroom.
● 1 hour x2/week spent doing debrief and team planning.
● 1-2 hours/week at-home curriculum preparation with provided materials.
● OPTIONAL 1 hour x2/week lunch hour with the kids.
● OPTIONAL team facilitators will have an additional 1-2 hours/week prep time which will be discussed during training.
● TOTAL AVERAGE WEEKLY COMMITMENT: 8-10 hours/week
Description: Corps members implement the Jumpstart curriculum and serve as an aide to teachers. They will participate in two sessions per week in a classroom for two hours each session working directly with the children. They will then work with their team 1-2 hours weekly on session preparation, as well as on materials development, supplemental training, helping with snack time, and engaging children in outdoor play.
● Applicants should be 50 years of age or older to apply.
● Applicants are required to be proficient in English (reading, writing, speaking).
● Applicants may be required to submit to a background check and fingerprinting, or further screening depending on the site they will be assigned to.
Location: East Side House Settlement’s Mott Haven Head Start (375 E. 143 Street Bronx, NY 10454) and Children’s Pride Head Start (414 Morris Ave Bronx, NY 10451).
How to Apply
Please send an e-mail to Ashley Collazo at East Side House Settlement (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your expression of interest. You may also call her at 347-941-2024.
- Training Provided