Horizons Assistant Teachers - Session 1 (June 25-July 13)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Horizons Greater Washington
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Horizons Greater Washington is looking for dedicated and enthusiastic volunteer Horizons Assistant Teachers (HATs) to work with lead teachers to engage students in active learning through non-traditional ways in our six-week summer enrichment program for economically disadvantaged students in grades 1-9. Candidate must work as a team player to help fulfill the Horizons mission.
Volunteer HATs should be 16 or older and able to commit to a minimum of three weeks (June 25-July 13), plus training. They can earn 35 service learning hours for each week they volunteer.
• Work with a lead teacher to help design activities and lessons for the class
• Be assigned to bus duty either in the morning or afternoon once or twice a week
• Help with organization and structure of playground activities
• Swim daily with the students
• Attend weekly meetings after “camp” to talk about kids, schedules, plans, etc.
• Help in planning activities and field trips with the lead teacher, and,
• Possess genuine respect, self-discipline and organization to help set examples for our young students
- Training Provided