Bester Community of Hope: Healthy Futures VISTA
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Strong City Baltimore
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The following position is a one year (August 2018-August 2019) AmeriCorps VISTA position at Bester Community of Hope in Hagerstown, MD and sponsored by Strong City Baltimore. Bester Community of Hope is an initiative of San Mar, focused on prevention with a place-based strategy for positive outcomes for the children and families located in the Bester Elementary School neighborhood in Hagerstown, Maryland. Bester Community of Hope is one of 14 sites nationally supported by Casey Family Programs to support their broader efforts to safely reduce the number of children placed outside of their home by building “Communities of Hope.”
Help create new service pathways and holistic wellness programming for vulnerable students at Bester Elementary School!
The goal of this project is to integrate and promote healthcare services and ensure access by youth at Bester Elementary school.
The VISTA will:
1. Connect to services such as insurance enrollment, managing and linking parents to a database of primary care service providers
2. Support operational activities of the school based health center
3. Create a baseline of 100% enrollment in public/private insurance programs and a working process for new students to register at the time of school admission
4. Create a database of wellness providers
5. Establish a new culture of healthy habits and early intervention practices through strategic partnerships and annual events
6. Integrate mental health, dental and vision needs at the school
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is not a job per se, but a full time national service opportunity. Benefits include: living allowance, relocation and child care assistance if eligible, health allowance, monthly travel reimbursement, choice of an education award or cash stipend, and non-competitive eligibility for federal employment upon completion. Preferred candidates will be at least 18 years of age, demonstrate relevant experience for the position, and exhibit professionalism, commitment to service, and leadership potential.
Strong City’s mission is to build and strengthen neighborhoods and people. For more than four decades, Strong City has secured the resources of VISTA members to build sustainable change and fight poverty in our neighborhoods. Strong City-sponsored AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a solid foundation of skills they can use as a springboard for careers in government, nonprofits, education, and much more.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
To learn more about our AmeriCorps VISTA Program and how to apply: https://www.strongcitybaltimore.org/our-work/americorpsvista/
The deadline to apply is October 14, 2018.