Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Interaction Transition (I/T) is a Seattle based non-profit with over 40 years of experience assisting prisoners and former prisoners with their successful transition back into the community. I/T’s mission is to benefit community safety, improve its clients’ quality of life, and reduce their chances of re-offending. After 35 years of providing transitional housing services to persons returning from prison, I/T changed its focus and currently provides critical pre- and post-release employment assistance. It has also maintained its long-standing program of in-prison counseling sessions.
Interaction Transition is currently seeking a part time Transition Counselor who will facilitate a long-running inmate support group at the Monroe Correctional Complex’s Washington State Reformatory. Public transit is not a viable option for evening commuting to Monroe, WA so you will need your own reliable transportation for this volunteer role.
The role includes:
· Facilitating a group of 15-25 inmates, many of whom have been group participants for 10 years or more
· Supporting group participants in building resumes and release plans
· Keeping group discussions on track, re-directing as necessary during meetings
· Focusing participants on pro-social, productive behaviors
This position reports to the Executive Director. The role is ideal for someone that has experience in group facilitation and has worked in inmate programs inside prisons and/or jails previously. The group meets from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm every Thursday. We are looking for a minimum six month commitment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent communication skills, mature interpersonal style, ability to interact with a diverse range of people, and strong teamwork skills
- Passion for I/T’s mission and prisoner re-entry work;
- Cultural competence and experience working on behalf of persons with criminal convictions;
- Proficiency with group facilitation.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain an exhaustive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer