Times of day
1276 N Milwaukee Ave
The Storyteller plays a primary role during our most popular field trip, Storytelling and Bookmaking. With a little bit of improv and a lot of silliness and creativity, the storyteller works with a class of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade students to write a collaborative story and save our publishing house. There are tons of roles to play during Storytelling and Bookmaking, but the storyteller is the largest. It's super fun to help turn the students’ incredible ideas into a beautiful story.
- Synthesize student ideas to write a collaborative story
- Teach students the parts of a story
- Manage a class of 20-35 students with assistance of the field trip lead
- Attend Pre-Field Trip Meeting (30 minutes prior to field trip)
- Assist in individual student writing time
- Ability to engage children
- A love of acting/role playing
- Experience leading a group of students a plus
- The Storyteller spends 9:30 am - 12:15 pm volunteering for Storytelling and Bookmaking
How To Apply
In order to sign-up, we ask you to take the following three steps:
- Fill out a short volunteer application at 826CHI. This application can be found at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form. As a part of this application, you will select a date to attend an hour-and-a-half New Volunteer Orientation at 826CHI, 1276 N. Milwaukee Ave, 60622.
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation session. During this meeting, 826CHI staff will fill you in on all the specifics of programming and volunteering. To complete the application process, you will also be asked to fill out just a smidge more paperwork and a required background check.
- Sign-up for volunteer activities on our website. Once your background check has been approved, we will send you a welcome email with a link to our online volunteer calendar where you can sign up for opportunities as they fit your schedule. From this point on you will receive bi-weekly volunteer opportunities email highlighting upcoming events.
It’s that simple. If you have any questions along the way, please don’t hesitate to be in touch. Thanks again for your interest in becoming a part of the 826CHI team. We very much look forward to working with you!