English Tutor, Safe Passage/Camino Seguro
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Camino Seguro / Safe Passage
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
6a Avenida 11-95 Colonia Landivar, Zona 7
Safe Passage, a 501(C)3 non-profit development-focused organization, is seeking exceptional English Tutors to join our English Department. Known in Guatemala as Camino Seguro, Safe Passage’s mission is to help children in the Guatemala City garbage dump community break the cycle of poverty through education, emphasizing life skills and perseverance in order to thrive in work and contribute to their community. Safe Passage is a secular, non-political organization.
Safe Passage is seeking English Tutors who will:
- Teach four to eight 30-60 minute English tutoring sessions per day to individual students and/or small groups of all ages;
- Equip students with the English language skills necessary to complete English homework assignments, graduate, attend university, and secure jobs in fields requiring English;
- Be responsible for teaching English content while nurturing a positive one-on-one relationship with each student;
- Support adult learning through tutoring teachers, staff and parents one-on-one or in small groups as needed;
- Create fun and engaging lessons to motivate and encourage students.
- Passion for Safe Passage's mission, commitment to service and ability to engage children, families and staff;
- Experience working with at-risk, low-income student populations and/or experience teaching ESL (preferred);
- English fluency (a beginner level of Spanish preferred);
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to connect across cultural and linguistic divides;
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence;
- Strong organizational skills and self-direction;
- Experience living or working in Guatemala or other developing nation (preferred);
- Ability to commit to a minimum of five weeks of consecutive service; longer time commitments are welcome and encouraged.
- Opportunity to work with and learn about an incredible population while gaining professional experience;
- Free lunch and transportation to the project;
- Ideal position for those with a beginner level of Spanish who want to work directly with members of this community and make a significant impact in a short period of time;
- 1 personal day per month; 5 consecutive vacation days per 6-month period.
For more information about the organization, please see www.safepassage.org/volunteers.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Interested candidates should follow the application instructions listed on https://www.safepassage.org/take-action/volunteer/ and send their completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with "English Tutor" in the subject line. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; new orientation sessions for short-term volunteers are generally held on the first and third Mondays of each month. The last orientation for new volunteers for the 2018 program year will be held Monday, October 1, 2018. Safe Passage will offer the first orientation for new volunteers for the 2019 program year in mid-January 2019.