Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
824 Wellesley Avenue
OFI is looking for volunteers in the Los Angeles (Santa Monica) area to assist with a wide-range of clerical, administrative, archival, and media work. OFI has a long and established history as a research, conservation and education organization. It is vitally important that this work continues to be brought to the attention of the public, and the friends and donors involved with OFI. Volunteers will gain insight into critically important aspects of conservation: involvement of the international public and the administrative fundraising work that supports and enables field work. We are hoping that volunteers will not only assist with OFI’s current projects, but will actively seek out new opportunities to spread awareness of OFI’s mission.
OFI is looking for volunteers to work in the following areas:
a) General office tasks – preparing merchandise for shipment, assisting with mass mailings, compiling PR and educational kits, updating database entries and offline records, etc
b) Archival – helping to manage OFI’s Media Archives by digitizing old photos and documents dating back to the 1970s, and organizing current materials coming in from OFI’s field sites in Indonesia
c) Events – staffing occasional events (will include weekends and evenings)
Depending on experience and skill set, volunteers may specialize in one area or they may be asked to help in any and all tasks. Other tasks and projects may arise dependent on OFI’s immediate needs.
- Understanding of OFI’s mission, history, and work
- High degree of flexibility, open-mindedness, and creativity
- Strong interest in orangutans and other endangered wildlife
- Highly responsible and self-motivated; able to work without direct supervision or encouragement
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Willingness to engage in routine, mundane tasks and to see them to completion
- Admin or retail experience
- Strong computer skills mandatory
- Familiarity and comfort using with various web and mobile applications
- Familiarity with Windows operating system, including Excel and Microsoft Word
- Video editing, photo and graphic design experience a plus (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)
Volunteers will be is based in OFI’s Los Angeles office and will need to be commit to at least one day a week (4 hours a day minimum) Monday to Friday between the hours of 8am and 5pm for three months or longer.
How To Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your availablity during the week and if any of the tasks in the description speak to you, state your preference. Please include the words “Office Volunteer” in the subject line of the email!