Social Media and Communications Specialists
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Washington DC and surrounding area
Do you have a passion for defending and strengthening democracy?
Have you ever wanted to help start a nonprofit that will make a positive impact in America and the world?
Want a great volunteer experience that still gives you time for school and extracurricular activities?
Interested in putting your social media & marketing skills to the test?
Join Us at the Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy!
The Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy (CFFAD) is a new non-profit in formation. We help educate citizens about the benefits of representative democracy, the foundations of trust in representative democracy, and the role of citizens in defending their democracies. We intend that our efforts, along with those of many others, will help contribute to a reversal of emerging anti-establishment and anti-democratic trends, so that our policy makers can devote more time to constructively solving the pressing problems in front of us.
CFFAD is seeking talented social media and communications specialists for unpaid volunteer positions who can play a central role by helping market our educational materials, including how they are formatted and disseminated through various media; by facilitating fundraising; and by crafting periodic press releases. This position combines marketing and social media skills to enhance CFFAD’s social media presences. It includes interacting with the public, promoting brand-focused interactive and engaging content, and expanding opportunities for increased citizen engagement. This position works with other volunteers to create innovative social media campaigns. Volunteers may be organized into small teams for the production of webinars, videos, and a regular podcast.
- Work closely with the President, Directors, and other volunteers ;
- Devise and implement strategies and tactics to increase users and user interaction on WordPress (WPLMS) and other platforms, including through periodic press releases;
- Use social media to help market CFFAD workshops and other educational material;
- Devise baseline and metrics to show monthly progress towards increased visibility, website user interactions, take-up volume of our educational content, and donor interest; and
- Collaborate with other volunteers on recruitment, and fund-raising.
“My experience interning with FFAD couldn’t have been better. I felt like my ideas were making a difference in the direction of the Center, and that gave me a real stake in the organization and its mission. Moreover, I learned new skills while feeling like I was doing something for the greater good.”
- 2018 Volunteer
- Willingness and ability to prioritize the mission of CFFAD;
- At least two years relevant experience using a variety of social media to market an organization or idea with priorities on webinars, videos, and podcasts; or
- Experience managing web-based projects and systems (e.g., webinars, videos, pod-casts, videos, interactive online conversations, downloads of content, etc.);
- At least a BA in Marketing, Communications, Social Media or similar field;
- Familiarity with data collection and analysis;
- Familiarity with copyright laws as well as IRS and state regulations on content;
- Familiarity with pushing press releases to relevant media;
- Ability to create and deploy effective memes;
- Willingness to work with and rely upon other volunteers from diverse backgrounds;
- Problem-solving and creative thinking;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Familiarity with any of the following: WordPress, WordPress Plugins, WPLMS, BigBlueButton, BuddyPress, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Google Analytics, Adobe Premier Pro, Adobe Audition; and
- Graphic design, photo-editing, and video-editing.
Requirements & Commitment
- Strong commitment to non-partisan behavior while assisting or representing CFFAD;
- Ability to attend initial orientation or training; and,
- Willingness to remotely volunteer 5-15 hours per week via email and other forms of electronic communication.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position you are interested in volunteering for, why you are interested, what you hope to contribute, how many hours you can work per week and when, what you hope to learn while at CFFAD, and references from your three most recent volunteer or employee positions. Please also include a resume or CV. Students and recent graduates should please include a PDF of their cumulative GPA. You are most welcome to submit any samples of work you are especially proud of.