Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Come and discover the magnificent Maldives and play your role in sea turtle conservation initiatives!
The project is located in the northern Maldives on the spectacular island of Naifaru in Lhaviyani Atoll. It’s a small, yet bustling and lively community of slightly over 5,000. The island is roughly 53 hectares and is positioned about 142km, or 88mi, from the capital of Male.
Volunteers help run our small turtle sanctuary, mainly for green sea turtles or Chelonia Mydas. Our new Marine Center is ideal for turtle rehabilitation as it is located in a more secluded part of the island away from interference with tourists or locals.
Alongside up to five international volunteers you will become involved in the project’s three core components: gathering, nursing and rehabilitation of the endangered sea turtles until they are about one foot long. At this point the turtles are introduced back into the sea. We believe that it is best that the turtles are left away from human contact in their natural environment which is why we do not hatch them.
The turtles that the project rehabilitates come from an array of sources. They may be rescued from urban areas, people trying to sell them to tourists as pets or brought to us after being caught by fishermen.
The expanse of work needed to be done depends on the amount of turtles receiving treatment at the time of your visit.
During your stay you will:
• Improve and develop the turtle rehabilitation center
• Feed the turtles and observe their consumption
• Measure and weigh the turtles to monitor their rehabilitation and development
• Change their water and collect sea grass from the beach with which to feed the turtles
• Clean and check turtles for injuries and infections
• Visit islands nearby to observe turtle nesting sites to assure that wild turtle populations are not ignored
• Assist the marine biologist in creating awareness lessons for the local school
• Educate locals and tourists alike on the importance of turtle protection in order to raise awareness about the significance of such conservation efforts
Volunteers are given Fridays off (though turtles must still be fed) while Saturdays are kept as days for fun group project outings.
• Enjoy the weekly trips that we organize based on the mutual requests of our volunteers (some of the options include reef snorkeling, fishing, seeing dolphins or manta rays and excursions to unpopulated islands).
• Take advantage of the amazing discounts that the Lhaviyani Atoll resorts provide to our project participants: 50% off overnight stays, 25% off at all restaurants and bars and 25% off of diving.
• Sit back and relax at a local restaurant or coffee shop while you listen to Maldivian street musicians and gaze at the Indian Ocean’s stunning horizon.
• Meet locals and like-minded international volunteers on this once in a lifetime adventure!
3 - 12 weeks
• Ages 18 – 65
• Good physical fitness
• Basic English
• Immunizations (consult with your doctor)
• Able to work well in a team, have flexibility and the enthusiasm to contribute to the conservation of sea turtles
Project Fees Include
• Pre-Departure Kit
• Travel and medical insurance
• Airport transfers included on arrival and departure dates
• Room and board (shared rooms at the volunteer or guest house and 3 meals daily)
• Orientation and all required training upon arrival
• Local staff and 24 hour emergency support
• Internet, laundry and a kitchen for your use
• Trips each Saturday (which could include reef snorkeling, fishing, seeing dolphins or manta rays and excursions to unpopulated islands)
Language/Cultural Support Available