Volunteer program at the Butterfly Garden in San Jose, Costa Rica
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CADIP
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
The Butterfly Garden is located just 10 min out of the center of San José, the capital of Costa Rica, and in the last bit of forest in the metropolitan area: a little tropical paradise in the city center. It is also a shelter for a big number of little mammals, reptiles, insects, birds, and, of course, butterflies. In the 350m2 farm, visitors can see several of Costa Rica’s most beautiful species of butterflies and observe them in every stage of their life.Depending on the volunteer’s preferences, different tasks can be assigned, for example:
• Gardening tasks: weeding and cutting the plants, maintaining the compost, cleaning the benches in the garden, making sure the larvae have enough food, maintaining the feeding spots for the butterflies, watching out for the safety of the turtles, taking care of the waterfall and the orchids, etc.
• Guide’s tasks: Holding information lectures for tourists and visitors about the environment and the importance of butterflies in our ecosystem; maintaining the farm and the feeding spots of butterflies, turtles and colibris in a good state, etc.
• Lab tasks: Keeping it clean and organized, collecting plants to feed the larvae, cleaning drawers with water and chlorine, keeping the materials in their respective spots, etc.
Volunteer’s schedule is Monday to Friday from 9:00am until 2:00pm.
Arrival and orientation: All participants in the program have an orientation meeting in San José before starting the project. The orientation helps you get an insight into local culture and prepares you for a positive experience in Costa Rica.
Please arrive in San José 2 days before the start of the project.
Duration of the project: 1 week - 5 months. Please select the dates that work best for you and submit them with your application.
Learn more about the short-term (1-3 weeks) program: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-costa-rica
Programs 1 to 5 months: http://cadip.org/volunteering-in-costa-rica
Volunteering Worldwide: http://cadip.org
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers