Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
8201 164th Avenue Northeast
Do you have a passion for logistics? Relish the feeling of empowering teams to succeed in completing projects? Interested in gaining valuable experience running a nonprofit? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a pioneering strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for an Administrative Coordinator based in Washington State’s Puget Sound region.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will work with NPI’s executive director to ensure NPI is effectively managed and that NPI’s boardmembers have the information they need to make sound decisions about NPI’s future.
Examples of tasks you’ll be asked to be responsible for include:
- taking minutes at board meetings
- respond to inquiries submitted through NPI’s website or telephone system
- reminding board members and fellow staff members about upcoming meetings/functions
- researching potential vendors or travel arrangements on behalf of the organization
- assisting in the preparation of NPI’s operating and capital budgets
- entering data into NPI’s databases, or updating existing supporter records
- putting together materials (like invitations, signage, nametags, and programs)
- posting announcements to NPI’s social media channels
- preparing postcards, thank you cards, and other materials for mailing
- fielding requests for accommodations from people with disabilities
Training and orientation will be provided. This is a “hands on” opportunity to learn how grassroots nonprofits are built, developed, and managed… and hone your management and administrative skills.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Sensitively handle confidential information about donors, staff, and volunteers
- Create and import data into spreadsheets
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with fellow staff, board, and supporters
Familiarity with social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is a plus. WordPress experience is desirable.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least eight to ten hours per month for a minimum of one year. During the months when NPI holds its major seasonal events (August, December, and April), the time commitment may be closer to twelve hours, counting the time spent onsite the day of event. Most tasks can be done remotely, working online, at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than November 1st, 2017.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level, including our Framing Sense handbook, wall calendar, Washington Progressive Blogroll t-shirt, and coffee table photobook.
- Training: Haven’t been to Camp Wellstone yet? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next Camp Wellstone Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love Camp Wellstone. Offered annually in Seattle since 2005, it is the premier training for progressive candidates and activists.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device). We can also provide you with a rugged, secure BlackBerry smartphone to use if you prefer.
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form on our website. You will be asked to enclose your resume.
NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.