- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Washington DC and surrounding area
Do you have a passion for defending and strengthening democracy?
Have you ever wanted to help start a nonprofit that will make a positive impact in America and the world?
Want a great volunteer experience that still gives you time for school and extracurricular activities?
Interested in putting your fundraising skills to the test?
Join Us at the Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy!
The Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy (CFFAD) is a new non-profit in formation. We help educate citizens about the benefits of representative democracy, the foundations of trust in representative democracy, and the role of citizens in defending their democracies. We intend that our efforts, along with those of many others, will help contribute to a reversal of emerging anti-establishment and anti-democratic trends so that our policy makers can devote more time to constructively solving the pressing problems in front of us.
CFFAD is seeking a talented fundraiser and development coordinator for an unpaid volunteer position who can play a central role in researching potential donors, soliciting donations, making grant proposals, organizing fundraising proposals and events, volunteering at fundraising events, using peer-to-peer web platforms and more. Those with previous experience in marketing or fundraising are encouraged to contact CFFAD.
- Work closely with the President, Directors, and other volunteers to develop and implement a fundraising plan for the organization which will achieve the goals for sustainable funding, the development of projects, and delivery of core operations;
- Lead efforts to cultivate a substantial and diverse base of donors and maximize donor retention;
- Lead initiatives to communicate with donors through multiple channels, cultivate donor relationships, and solicit donations; and,
- Collaborate with the President, Directors and other volunteers to create presentations for potential donors.
“My experience interning with FFAD couldn’t have been better. I felt like my ideas were making a difference in the direction of the Center, and that gave me a real stake in the organization and its mission. Moreover, I learned new skills while feeling like I was doing something for the greater good.”
- 2018 Volunteer
- Willingness and ability to prioritize the mission of CFFAD;
- Integrity and credibility;
- At least two years of prior experience with fundraising campaigns and/or soliciting donations in one or more of the following area(s): nonprofit fundraising, grant writing, nonprofit management, strategy, or operations;
- Demonstrated fundraising ability: you are comfortable soliciting donations from potential individual donors and funders, reaching out to grant managers and foundations for more information on potential grant opportunities, and drafting letters of inquiry to grant-makers;
- Familiarity with IRS and state laws governing charitable solicitation and giving.
- At least a BA in Business, Communications, Fundraising, Philanthropy or similar field;
· A network of contacts and potential funders to bring to the organization;
· Experience in organizing and contributing to events;
· Proven relationship building skills, with the ability to engender trust and loyalty from involved parties;
- Initiative, creativity, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit; and,
- Ability and commitment to working with a team from diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with Kindful or similar donor tracking software;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task;
- Donor research and management;
- Grant research and proposal writing; and,
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Requirements & Commitment
- Strong commitment to non-partisan behavior while assisting or representing CFFAD;
- Ability to attend initial orientation or training; and,
- Willingness to remotely volunteer 5-15 hours per week via email and other forms of electronic communication.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position you are interested in volunteering for, why you are interested, what you hope to contribute, how many hours you can work per week and when, what you hope to learn while at CFFAD, and references from your three most recent volunteer or employee positions. Please also include a resume or CV. Students and recent graduates should please include a PDF of their cumulative GPA. You are most welcome to reference any examples of projects you are especially proud of.