Math Support Specialist - City Center for Collaborative Learning - AmeriCorps
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Arizona Serve
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Paulo Freire Freedom School
City Center For Collaborative Lrarning
Math Support Specialist
900 Hour Position
Approximately 20 hours/week
Service Location: Tucson, AZ
Service Dates: September 1, 2018 – June 31, 2019
I. ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND BACKGROUND
CITY Center for Collaborative Learning’s new mission is to “design, implement, and advance exemplary practices in teaching and learning that transform the lives of young people and their educators.” In July 2016, the organization took on the Paulo Freire Freedom Schools from a closely aligned nonprofit partner. The flagship programs now include three schools, City High School and the two Paulo Freire Freedom Schools at Downtown and University locations. In total the three secondary schools serve 335 students annually and span grades 6 through 12.
We are looking for an AmeriCorps State member who can be a math support assistant to students in teacher-led math classes as well as serve as a math tutor in our afterschool homework help program. The AmeriCorps member will work closely with our Paulo Freire math teachers to assist in the planning and implementation of lessons designed to help all our students achieve math proficiency. Having an AmeriCorps member assist with those classes will allow for greater differentiation and one-on-one or small group support. As a small school, the AmeriCorps member will become an integral and valued member of our team, getting to know the faculty, students and parents with whom they are working.
II. PROJECT FOCUS AREAS AND ACTIVITIES
A. Classroom Activities: The AmeriCorps member will support classroom teachers in math classrooms by providing real time feedback and support to students in math class, assisting classroom teacher with planning and teaching of math lessons, and working to bring in a variety on on-line and kinesthetic resources to help a diverse community of learners. They will also work one-on-one or with a small group of students that need remediation or extension work to ensure adequate differentiation in the classroom occurs.
B. After-school Tutoring: The AmeriCorps member will provide afterschool tutoring specializing in math support. They will also help give guidance on Khan Academy lessons, support with homework assignments, and review basic math skills with students.
III. Requirements and Benefits
A. Education, Skills and Abilities
· Minimum of 18 years or older, no upper age limit. All ages are welcome and encouraged to apply.
· Strong Math background
· Experience working with youth
· Ability to build rapport with diverse populations
· Proficient with Microsoft Office software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
· Ability to multi-task and coordinate projects
· Ability to be flexible and work well in a variety of situations
· Documentation and organizational skills
· Strong problem solving, writing, and communication skills
· Ability to understand "big picture" while completing detail-oriented tasks
· Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team setting in a consistent, energetic, positive manner
· Friendly and effective interpersonal skills
· Healthy sense of humor
· Spanish skills not required, but would be useful
· Vehicle recommended to get to and from worksite
AmeriCorps State Member Benefits (900 Hour)
● $6,265 living allowance during term of service
● Upon completion of service, part-time (900 hour) AmeriCorps members receive a $2,907.50 education award that can be applied to educational costs or student loans
● Members participate in 10 (2-hour) trainings that qualify them for a Certificate in Civic Leadership and 4 college credits from Prescott College
● Team support and coaching
Arizona Serve is committed to implementing inclusive practices in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Those who have marginalized identities, whether or not those identities provide protected status, are encouraged to apply.
Prescott College is a proud participant in the Employers of National Service initiative. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided