New Jersey Office of the Attorney General: AmeriCorps Full-time Member Service Opportunities in TRENTON (MERCER COUNTY), NEW JERSEY
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by AmeriCorps at Drew University
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Drew University has been awarded a three-year AmeriCorps grant from the New Jersey Commission on National and Community Service to launch “Safer Communities – The Drew University Community Policing Initiative,” a comprehensive AmeriCorps program designed to improve law enforcement and community relations by promoting greater understanding, communication and positive interaction between them.
Focus of AmeriCorps Program
The Police-Community Trust, Understanding and Cooperation AmeriCorps service opportunity works under the basic premise that law enforcement’s ability to do its duty protecting people is jeopardized by questions about their credibility. Bridging any gaps between community leaders and local law enforcement enhances the ability of police to carry out their duties.
Overview of Member Role
AmeriCorps members will be deployed by the Prosecutors Supervision & Training Bureau to assist the Mercer County Prosecutors Offices (through Community Outreach Liaisons employed by those respective Offices) to assist with the planning and execution of activities and events that will strengthen law enforcement and community relationships, and address specific and identified needs of enhancing community engagement efforts in those locations.
Members will use social media and online skills to assist in creating online resources for law enforcement as well as engage in community relations surveying member of the public about law enforcement.
Specific Duties Include
· Participate in the planning and execution of initiatives that will strengthen law enforcement and community relationships as assigned by the NJ Office of the Attorney General, Office of Community Justice and the Division of Criminal Justice, Prosecutors Supervision & Training Bureau.
· Assist County Prosecutor Community Outreach Liaisons with projects to enhance community engagement efforts.
· Assist NJ OAG Youth Policy and Planning Boards in work to build partnerships and strengthen relationships within their communities.
· Assist with the recruitment and retention of local leaders in education, business and social service fields, to work with local law enforcement.
· Prepare materials and content to be uploaded onto web portals and/or social media.
· Creating a statewide internet clearinghouse of best practices on police/community relations.
· Assist in the administration and analysis of projects which survey members of the public about their current attitudes in target communities/sites.
· Assist in tracking and monitoring of program statistics.
· Participate in AmeriCorps member surveys.
· Other related duties as required.
• An independent, self-motivated and resourceful individual who enjoys working with diverse groups of people.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and complete tasks in a professional, organized and timely manner.
• Experience with using the internet and social media platforms.
• Ability to conduct online research on community policing initiatives.
• A cooperative manner and the ability to serve as a part of a diverse team.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Experience working with diverse populations preferred.
• Experience public speaking preferred.
• Interest in criminal and/or community justice preferred.
• Possession of a BA/BS preferred.
• Possession of a high school diploma.
• Ability to commit to the full term of service for which they are applying.
• Must successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check. Also, must obtain a satisfactory report from the National Sex Offender Public Website prior to the start of the position.
• Regular and reliable attendance and dependability.
• Willingness to travel to local county prosecutor offices.
- Possession of a driver’s license and access to reliable vehicle required.
- Must submit a short writing sample (2-4 pages).
- Must provide 3 references, at least 1 professional and 2 personal (non-family members).
· MUST serve all weeks.
· This AmeriCorps Member position is Full Time, 35-40 hours/week, total service commitment is 1700 hours over a 12-month term of service.
· Willing to travel as required.
Our anticipated AmeriCorps start date for all program sites is Monday, October 23, 2017.
AmeriCorps members will receive a living stipend, education award, and additional AmeriCorps benefits. Members must commit to attend scheduled meetings, trainings, and in-service events. Applicants must also meet the following AmeriCorps requirements: A US citizen, US national, Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S. and/or tribal member; At least 18 years old; A minimum of a high school diploma or GED; No more than three previous terms as an AmeriCorps member; Pass a criminal history background check, including an FBI check.
How To Apply
Candidates can email an expression of interest to email@example.com. Please include “AmeriCorps NJ OAG Mercer County” in the subject line, and attach a list of three (3) references and a current resume.