A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
PRS CrisisLink is a community-based nonprofit organization that serves the Northern Virginia and D.C. area individuals living with mental illness, substance use disorders, mild intellectual disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, and all individuals who face life crisis.
We are seeking empathetic, non-judgmental, and caring volunteers to answer our suicide and crisis prevention hotline calls and textline texts for our PRS CrisisLink program.
PRS CrisisLink volunteers receive extensive training (60+ hours) and acquire excellent communication and suicide prevention skills that last a lifetime. Students who volunteer can receive letters of recommendation.
Please click on the link to view current training schedule and our available volunteer shifts; https://prsinc.org/crisislink/volunteer/crisishotline/ .
- Must successfully complete in-person and online Hotline training of 60 hours. The training includes a 2-Day Applied Suicide Intervention Skills training. A non refundable training fee of $50 is required and covers the materials provided to each trainee.
- Must be willing to commit to one, 3-hours per week shift for the duration of one year.
- Must be empathetic, non-judgmental, and be responsive to the feelings of callers.
- Ability to make sound decisions under pressure and be able to problem-solve with minimum supervision.
- Must be prompt and have reliable means of transportation required.
- Computer experience and proficient typing skills.
- Training Provided