Community Development & Education Internship in the Ecuadorian Amazon
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Amazon Learning
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Amazon Learning is a social enterprise that facilitates experiential education for people of any age interested in understanding the links between local people and the Amazonian ecosystem. We foster experiential learning through a variety of programs that offer field-specific collaborations, Spanish immersion, cross-cultural understanding, and personal transformation. Our participants forge meaningful connections to the people and forest of the Amazon, gain global perspectives, and develop strategies to use their skills gained and share their findings with their communities back home.
In addition to engaging in unique Amazonian activities such as swimming in waterfalls, turning cacao into chocolate, and trekking in the virgin rainforest, our immersion program offers the chance to become part of an Ecuadorian family and community, dive deep into language learning (Spanish and Kichwa!), and create your own community-based projects.
Our Community Development & Education interns learn from and support different institutions that work with youth from ages 1-22. Partners range from high schools, to an Amazonian university, to a very busy at-risk youth community center. Together with these partners our interns support increased access to crucial educational themes including English-learning, environmental sustainability, theatre, art, and more - all with the aim of promoting the community and kids to get involved in their own education. The intern’s role in this internship might include:
- Collaborate with an at-risk youth cultural center which guides workshops on crafts, theatre, art, cooking, English, and more. The center also hosts cultural and community learning events like culinary workshops for community tourism leaders, theatre shows from visiting performers, and more!
- Grant-writing, nonprofit management, hostal coordination, and workshop assistance with a local hybrid nonprofit.
- Teach or TA classes in environmental education, athletics, English, or art with students anywhere from Pre-K to 12th grade
- Support professors in English, Chemistry, Biology or Environmental Studies classes at an Amazonian university
- Assist and collaborate in program for children with disabilities
Tena, Napo, Ecuador - Amazon Basin
8 weeks room and program fees………..$960
10 weeks room and program fees...........$2400
*Program fee includes living accommodations and 3 melas per day with a vetted Host Family, in-depth pre-departure and orientation training, internship placement and coordination, 1:1 mentoring/coaching, logistical support, 24/7 health+emergency support, and project costs.
**Travel expenses and additional optional activities are not included.
- Proficiency in or high motivation to learn Spanish, proficiency in English
- Able to develop and implement a project with limited oversight
- Interest in working and living in a modest, indigenous community
- Ability to problem solve, be flexible, and work independently
- Accountable, flexible, and proactive
- Research experience a plus
We accept participants on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining where you learned about this opportunity, what dates you would be available to intern (approximate month and # of weeks), why you want to join the program, and what you believe you could contribute to the internship. All applications can be emailed to email@example.com
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining where you learned about this opportunity, what dates you would be available to intern (approximate month and # of weeks), why you want to join the program, and what you believe you could contribute to the internship. All applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org