A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
700 Professional Drive
Do you want to help The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) build an even stronger platform of protection for all animals? Then consider becoming a part of our volunteer leadership by applying to be a district leader in your congressional district (humanesociety.org/districtleaders).
District leaders are at the forefront of HSUS efforts to celebrate animals and confront cruelty. As a district leader, you will advance the HSUS federal and state animal protection legislative agenda, while fostering a greater animal protection presence in your state and community. To learn more, review the District Leader Volunteer position description.
Benefits of becoming a district leader volunteer
You will become a highly trained and effective volunteer leader and will develop your legislative advocacy, networking, strategic thinking and leadership skills.
Requirements for our volunteers
- Commitment to the HSUS mission;
- Willingness to cultivate strong and effective relationships with lawmakers and relay animal protection positions to them;
- Strong interpersonal skills; and
- Strong computer literacy and a general knowledge of social media.
- Actively participate in ongoing federal, state and local legislative advocacy;
- Build a base of allies in your congressional district who will take action on behalf of animal protection issues, especially legislation at the federal, state and local levels;
- Develop and implement a local action plan in one or more of these HSUS priority campaigns: companion animals, farm animals and wildlife; and
- Be a current HSUS member or have made a greater philanthropic commitment.
- Must be able to learn and follow all HSUS guidelines and policies and follow directions given by staff;
- Have access to a computer with Microsoft Office and Internet capabilities, a phone and reliable transportation; and
- Must not be participating in the district leader program to fulfill court-ordered community service obligations.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please see full details about the District Leader Volunteer position and apply on our web page at www.humanesociety.org/districtleaders. Before becoming an official volunteer, you must sign a volunteer agreement and a waiver/release of liability.