Activities and Events Committee Volunteers
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by AALUSC (African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Various Locations throughout NYC
AALUSC is a grassroots community based group run by and for Women of Color (WOC) whom identify under the rainbow of LGBTQI – NGC+.
AALUSC, formerly known as African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change was founded in 1974 as Salsa Soul Sisters, Third World Wimmin Inc. AALUSC is committed to the spiritual, cultural, educational, economic and social empowerment of African Ancestral Womyn. We are dedicated to making our voices heard in advocacy of womyn's rights.
The need for an organization like AALUSC in the Lesbian community in 1974 is not the same for our community in current times and therefore in keeping out doors open, AALUSC is undergoing a rebranding and restructuring. Part of this restructuring includes rebuilding our membership, our board and becoming more diverse in the members we serve and addressing their needs.
AALUSC is pleased to invite applications to join our team as an Activity and Events Committee Volunteer. We are seeking outgoing, action-oriented individuals to play a significant role in our organizing work with the Lesbian Women of Color and LGBT communities. This is a part-time, volunteer position
Activity and Events Committee Volunteers would work with the Activity and Events Chair and other committee members as well as partner organizations and community stakeholders to plan, coordinate and execute a calendar of social, educational, and cultural events and activities for AALUSC participants including meet and greets, social gatherings, workshops and other programming based the interests, needs and talents the black lesbian community.
Community Organizing Volunteers responsibilities would include, though not be limited to:
- Being project lead on delegated or volunteered activities, programming and/or events throughout the year
- Assist in the internal planning and promotion of events, programming and activities that would appeal to or benefit AALUSC participants and encourage participation and engagement of the black lesbian community
- Identify external events programming and activities which AALUSC could participate in or attend that would appeal to or benefit AALUSC participants and the black lesbian community
- Develop, Create or facilitate monthly groups, workshops or forums that meet the needs and interests of AALUSC participant and the black lesbian community
- Identify facilitators or presenters to facilitate groups, workshops, forums, activities or events that appeal to or benefit AALUSC participants and the black lesbian community
- Help to create a positive environment at all social events, and assist in evaluating events;
- Provide feedback on all social events for possible improvements while creating new activities that allow for greater participation
- Assist in maintaining an annual calendar of social and recreational events for the purpose of fellowship, networking and to increase AALUSC participation
- Coordinate with other committees to identify possible events and activities as well as to ensure everyone is on the same page to produce successful events (marketing, outreach and recruitment, fundraising and development)
- Perform such other related functions as may be requested by the Committee Chair and Board Chair
- Commitment to organization and its principles, mission, vision and goals
- Commit to a minimum of twelve (10) hours a month
- Participate in Committee meetings and Organizational activities and events
- Utilize skills, talents and ideas to help carry out the mission and vision of AALUSC
- Provide perspective and input by sharing ideas, giving feedback and following through and providing updates on responsibility and tasks
- Be creative and unique
- Interest and/or experience in event planning, group facilitation, coordinating activities and/or programming
- Ability to work well both independently and on a team
- Strong leadership and collaborative skills
- Decisiveness in order to tackle and resolve difficult issues and to keep the business of the board moving.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and openness to public speaking
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available