PERU: Art Teacher Volunteer in Trujillo
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by La Comunidad que Construimos - LCQC Peru
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Avenida 29 De Diciembre
We are looking for passionate individuals to come and join our exciting team in Peru. Being a volunteer at La Comunidad que Construimos is an incredibly rewarding experience and a unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children and their families here in Trujillo. You will work with an official NGO, dedicated teachers and educators that have served the community for years. We see the Art Teacher role as crucial to the success of our organization, as our volunteer teachers provide children with the necessary tools to build their self-esteem and confidence through our educational programs and art workshops in the Alto Trujillo district on a daily basis.
- Teach Arts to children from 6 years old to 12 years old.
- Prepare art projects and share best learning practice with other volunteers and the Director.
- Take part in fun extracurricular activities that include sightseeing, camping, surfing and sandboarding
- Spend time with children and their families at our various projects.
- Attend weekly meetings with other volunteers and the Director.
- Set an example to the students and act as a role model.
- Be a responsible ambassador for our organization.
- Be passionate and enthusiastic!
- Minimum commitment of one month in Peru - essential
- English fluency - essential
- Basic level of Spanish.
- Art degree.
- Positive attitude and adaptable.
- Experience teaching and/or working with groups of children.
- An engaging personality with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Open-minded and driven.
- Ability to work with a team.
- First Aid certificate not required but preferred.
- Experience of living and working in Latin America not required but preferred.
Benefits of volunteering with us:
- Gain valuable skills and a unique experience in teaching kids in Peru.
- Be part of an amazing community that aims at making a positive change.
- Induction, training and on-going support from our team members.
- Housing at our Volunteer House
- Get a reference and a certificate upon completion of your mission
Your Typical Day
Teaching takes place every morning, Monday - Friday, in Alto Trujillo. You will teach kids aged 6 to 12 years-old in groups of up to 30 children. There are 6 primary levels in total, of 2 classes each. You will help kids increase their confidence and self-esteem through Art classes. Our teaching methods are inclusive and interactive: children learn how to achieve their goals, work with others and manage their emotions – through play and mutual trust. All classes take place in the presence of a local primary teacher.
Our After-School Program takes place every day after class. It is free, open to all, and most importantly it provides a safe & structured environment to the schoolchildren. Our "Different but Equal" motto promotes cultural diversity, acceptance and respect for one another’s differences.
Our volunteers create a range of art, craft & sport activities around a new country each week. This cultural exchange program allows children to broaden their vision of the world, to form and express opinions creatively, and to value their own culture by reflecting a positive self-image.
In Your Free Time
As a touristic place, Trujillo has several spots to visit. From ancient settlements such as Chan Chan or La Huaca del Sol y de la Luna to the beach in Huanchaco or Puerto Chicama, where surf is very popular.
Trujillo's city center is also a beautiful place due to its colonial architecture including La Plaza de Armas. There are nice local restaurants, shops, bars and cafes. Trujillo has 2 big malls where you can buy almost anything you want. There are also several traditional local markets where you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables at a very low price.
Huanchaco, the most popular and touristic beach in Trujillo, offers fantastic sunsets, great waves to practice surf, and plenty space to play beach volleyball or other sports.
At night, Huanchaco also turns out to be the best place for partying in town, with busy bars where you can learn to dance Salsa, Bachata and Reggaetón.
It is very easy and cheap to travel around Trujillo. Within the city, a bus ride is only 1 sol (0.30 US dollar) and taxis cost around 6 soles (1.85 US dollar).
Do not miss the opportunity to enjoy the semi tropical weather of Trujillo and have an amazing experience volunteering with us!
Volunteers live at our Volunteer House located in the center of Trujillo, close to amenities. Accommodation includes private and shared bedrooms, Wi-Fi, self-catering kitchen, large bathroom with hot water and a spacious terrace.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers