Teach English in Oakland!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by EBALDC - East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) develops neighborhoods to address the specific needs of individual communities across Oakland to transform the health and well-being of residents. We have been doing this for over 40 years by developing housing and purchasing existing properties to give long-time residents the option to stay in their neighborhood in Oakland, while fostering increased economic opportunities for low-income families and individuals.
Volunteer English class instructors teach a weekly class to interested residents of our buildings, often adults learning the English language skills necessary to live and work in our community. Most students are limited-English speakers. The instructor is responsible for accessing published curriculum materials or developing original materials to meet the students’ listening, speaking, reading, and writing needs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize and prepare for classes; outline detailed lesson plans
- Develop learning materials that support the class learning objectives and planned activities
- Instruct weekly classes for up to 15 adult students using a variety of active and engaging teaching strategies, learning activities and student assessment methods
- Provide ongoing feedback and coaching to students
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work with and in diverse communities with students who have limited English-speaking proficiency
- Patience, understanding, flexibility, and a positive attitude
- Ability to communicate clearly in a large group setting
- Experience teaching or tutoring preferred
- Must pass a background check
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available