Community education and poverty alleviation projects in Kakamega
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CADIP
This project is in support of a self-help group based in Mumias district in the Western Province of Kenya. The group was formed with the aim to improve the educational standards of the orphans and vulnerable children, so that they will be able to take care of themselves. The group is running a local orphanage school, which is visited by 10 orphans and 16 widows. The orphans and widows are being supported through the sales of maize produced from their small farm. This caters for the orphans’ basic needs i.e. food, clothing and shelter. The widows also get support from various groups. The main purpose of the group is to mobilize the community and self-help groups to participate in grassroots efforts in poverty eradication.
• Teaching Mathematics, English, creative drawing subjects to the kids
• Feeding program and assisting with preparation and serving of meals
• Brick making activities and building an extension of the school
• Home visits and helping the old and sick group members
• Farm work which includes planting of crops, digging, watering of plants and clearing of bushes
• Organizing sports and games as well as playing with the children
Project dates: September 9 - September 27, 2018
Find out more about this and other volunteer opportunities in Kenya at: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-kenya
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
CLICK HERE to sign up and learn more!