Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Do you enjoy working with your hands, troubleshooting why something isn’t working, and then successfully fixing it? Do you have a construction background/training? Do you enjoy variety in your work?
Facilities Maintenance at JAARS needs a skilled technician who can tackle problems, take on the repair of equipment, and successfully maintain it.
JAARS makes Bible translation and language development possible in the most remote and difficult places on earth. You can be part of the team helping care for the facilities and impact lives for eternity.
Responsible for maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment, and buildings at JAARS.
- · This is a full-time, volunteer or career staff that raises their support position
- · Must be a U.S. citizen or green card holder to apply
- · Repair, maintain, or remodel outside or within physical structures
- · Conduct planned maintenance of equipment in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations
- · Inspect and perform routine repairs and adjustments on units such as pumps, generators, compressors, air conditioning units, and major appliances
- · Diagnose malfunctions of equipment using gauges, meters, or other test equipment, and use experience and technical manuals to plan repairs
- · Check electrical wiring, perform basic rewiring where necessary
- · Perform construction or alteration projects on center buildings
- · Use hand tools, power tools, gas, and electric welding equipment to perform modifications and repairs
- · Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- · Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Requirements and Experience Desired
- · Training in Construction or as an Electrician or Mechanic preferred
- · Experience in Construction, troubleshooting and maintenance
- · Framing and finishing experience preferred
- · Perform simple electrical rewiring and repairs
- · Proficiency in the use of hand and power tools
- · Ability to safely use welding equipment is desired
- · Experience in general maintenance work
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry located on a beautiful 500+ acre campus south of Charlotte, NC. We have nearly 100 guest housing units, recreational areas, a swimming pool, auto shop, mailroom, library, cafeteria, RV Park, childcare facilities, and youth ministries.
We have a variety of campus operations, housed in 20 buildings, with more than 500 JAARS and partner organization staff serving. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and with other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
1. Seek God Above All
2. Serve in Love
3. Act with Integrity
4. Steward God’s Resources with Courage
5. Pursue Excellence
6. Collaborate with Respect
7. Create a Culture of Innovation
How To Apply
There are many key opportunities at JAARS for you to help make Bible translation possible around the world. Volunteers are a crucial part of every department; over 50% of the staff are volunteers. We could not provide significant technical and logistical support services without people like YOU!
You will gain a new vision for missions and realize the lasting value of how your practical and technical skills are helping to transform lives around the world. Build meaningful and potentially lasting relationships with fellow volunteers and career staff. In the winter months, volunteers gather regularly for events such as breakfasts and game nights.
Volunteers can serve from two weeks to many years. The types of positions available to you will depend on your abilities and especially, the length of your stay. For IT positions, a month of service is required. Longer-term volunteers are important in positions that require task continuity, training, or certifications.
- · Proof of health insurance
- · Be self-supported, or receive funds through another organization
- · Ages 14-17 may serve if accompanied by a responsible adult
- · Agreement with our Statement of Faith
A variety of short-term to one-year, on-campus, fully-furnished housing units are available for volunteers who serve a minimum of 40 hours per week per couple, or 20 hours per week per single. Units include phones, WiFi, kitchens, bedding, and towels. An RV park with hookups is also available. Call housing for pricing and to make reservations. 704.843.6020