AmeriCorps VISTA – Community Outreach and Volunteer Development
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Senior Solutions - Council on Aging for Southeastern Vermont
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
38 Pleasant Street
This position is an AmeriCorps VISTA placement at Senior Solutions, a non-profit agency whose mission is to promote the well-being and dignity of older adults. Senior Solutions has served southeastern Vermont as the federally-designated Area Agency on Aging since 1973, providing services and supports to older adults and caregivers that help them remain independent and have a high quality of life. Services are targeted to those with the greatest economic and social need. Learn more about Senior Solutions at www.SeniorSolutionsVT.org.
VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a federally-funded national service program that works to eliminate poverty. The VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to this project. In return for their service, the member will receive a modest living allowance and health benefits during their service, and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend after completing their service. For those who qualify, child care subsidy, student loan assistance and other benefits are available. VISTA members may attend school or work at another job during their off hours.
This program is an excellent opportunity for a recent college graduate to gain valuable work experience, though adults of all ages are eligible.
VISTA Project Duties:
• Help develop and disseminate creative messages using multiple forms of media to provide information for and about older adults and aging issues.
• Help alleviate poverty by participating in outreach to empower people through knowledge of available resources and strengthen families and communities to better support those at risk.
• Help build a strong volunteer program by creating defined volunteer roles, training, support and supervision.
• Strengthen local nutrition programs and expand their impact through volunteer recruitment and support.
• Recruit volunteers to serve as friendly visitors to homebound elders, and create volunteer opportunities for older adults.
• Help us expand our impact by finding and pursuing new funding sources as we work to serve a growing number of vulnerable adults.
Living Allowance Stipend: $12,311/ yr. $1021/ month
Benefits: Childcare assistance if eligible, education award upon successful completion of service, health coverage, living allowance, non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), relocation travel and settling in allowance, student loan forbearance. Detailed Information about benefits and the VISTA program can be found HERE.
Training: In addition to the work experience, the VISTA will receive professional development training throughout the year and will be well-equipped for employment in the nonprofit sector after their year of service.
Apply by October 23, 2018 to receive full consideration.
Starting Date: November 13, 2018
An AmeriCorps VISTA application is required. The application process is lengthy and requires an essay and multiple letters of reference. Applicants are encouraged to review the application requirements and give themselves enough time to complete and submit all required paperwork. The application may be accessed HERE.
Additional information about the position can be found by contacting Senior Solutions at opportunities@SeniorSolutionsvt.org or by contacting Executive Director Carol Stamatakis at 802-885-2655.
How To Apply
In order to apply, an official AmeriCorps VISTA application must be submitted. This application is lengthy and requires an essay and multiple references. It is strongly recommended that applicants allow several days to a week to complete the application.
The application can be accessed through the following link:
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Applications must be completed using the portal in the AmeriCorps VISTA web site. Applications must be submitted no later than October 24th to be considered. Due to the length and complexity of the application, it is highly recommended that applicants begin the application process as soon as possible.
Those interested are welcome to check out our web site at www.SeniorSolutionsVT.org or contact Executive Director Carol Stamatakis at 802-885-2655 or cstamatakis@SeniorSolutionsvt.org for additional information.