Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1065 American Pacific Drive
Books & Buddies
Reading Mentorship Program Overview
· Partner with an elementary-aged child to help improve reading and language skills
· Requirements: Transportation to and from school, criminal background check, 1 training session
· Time Commitment: minimum of 1 hour per week
· Locations: six CCSD schools across the valley:
- Will Beckley ES (afternoons)
- Rex Bell ES (afternoons)
- Jack Dailey ES (afternoons)
- C.C. Ronnow ES (mornings)
- Bertha Ronzone ES (afternoons)
- Robert Taylor ES (mornings).
Books & Buddies Multi-Generational Reading Program was developed to improve the reading and comprehension skills of at-risk children by partnering them with volunteers acting as reading companions. Working together, the volunteer and student focus on improving the child’s reading proficiency, comprehension and oral reading skills. Books & Buddies mentors provide the much needed individualized attention that is not readily available within the classroom and, unfortunately, often absent from the child’s home environment.
All potential Books & Buddies volunteers will undergo a thoughtful and thorough screening process which will include Volunteer Application submission and criminal background investigation. New volunteers will also participate in a Volunteer Orientation and Training session to support them in their mentorship.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please visit our website www.spreadthewordnevada.org to register as a volunteer and sign-up for the mentor training session that fits your schedule.
1. Click on the PROGRAMS headline
2. Choose BOOKS & BUDDIES from the dropdown
3. Read about our program and choose YES if you’re ready to commit
4. Click on the SIGN ME UP! button and complete the registration