1 Weston Court
Urgent need for Volunteers SHIP/SMP for Augusta, Belfast, Brunswick, Camden, Damariscotta, Hallowell, Skowhegan, and Waterville. Days and Times are flexible.
Duties may include:
- Assisting with administration: such as copying, filing, data entry, assembling Medicare 101 packets and taking inbound calls schedule appointments for Medicare 101s or counseling sessions.
- Distributing information: helping with transporting and disseminating SHIP/SMP information to sites and events, may include presenting prepared copy or preforming scripted activities for small groups.
- Staffing Exhibits: help by staffing information tables or exhibits at events such as health fairs, also may provide general information about SHIP/SMP to the public and answer basic questions.
- Making group presentations: Help by giving presentations on SHIP/SMP topics to small and large groups. May interact with the audience by answering questions and through discussion.
- Counseling: help by having direct conversations with beneficiaries about their individual situations; may include review of personal information such as Medicare Summary Notices, billing statements and other health documents. (This job requires the volunteer to be experienced and mentored under staff supervision).
- Managing complex interactions: Help with in-depth interactions with beneficiaries who are reporting specific instances of healthcare fraud, errors and abuse. (this job requires the volunteer to be experienced and mentored under staff supervision).
- Receive Beneficiary Complaints: When Medicare beneficiaries, caregivers, and family members bring their complaints to the SMP, the SMP makes a determination about whether or not fraud, errors, or abuse is suspected. When fraud or abuse is suspected, they make a referral to the appropriate state and federal agencies for further investigation
- Training Provided