Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Washington, DC Area
Asian American LEAD Youth Leadership Empowerment and Development (AALEAD) is a youth development organization. Our mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after school, summer, and mentoring programs. For more information, please visit our web site at www.aalead.org.
AALEAD’s Middle & High School After School Programs primarily serve low-income Asian Pacific American and immigrant youth in middle and high school in DC, Montgomery County, and Fairfax County. These programs provide identity development, educational empowerment, and leadership opportunities to our youth.
The program operates on site at schools or community sites Monday through Thursday after school hours ending June 14, 2019. Hours vary depending on school/site.
Middle and High School Program Aides report to Site Coordinators.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in managing student behavior
- Support students individually or in groups in activities or projects
- Assist with lesson facilitation
- Assist coordinators with sport, recreational, art, and enrichment activities
- Carry out specific tasks, as directed by the coordinators such as preparing materials for activities, classroom cleanup, and assisting youth individually
- Build relationships with youth and be a positive role model
- Have a great attitude and be ready to have some FUN!
- At least two hours served Monday through Thursday during program hours for at least three months
- Please notify AALEAD in advance when you are not available to volunteer
- Flexible scheduling
- Gain experience in areas of education and community-based non-profit work
- Learn about Asian Pacific American community
- Have fun and be connected to the community
- Invitation to occasional volunteer appreciation events or activities
- Earn community service hours for school or work
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old to volunteer with Middle School Programs, and 21 years old to volunteer with High School Programs
- Adhere to school district volunteer policies regarding background checks, and additional training
How To Apply
- Contact Vi Bui at email@example.com or 202-329-6256 for more information
- Complete AALEAD Volunteer Application
- Schedule a brief interview so we can get to know your interests and strengths
- Attend an AALEAD Volunteer Orientation and Training