Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1 Centre St.
Position Summary: Big Apple Greeter is currently seeking a volunteer who is familiar with Queens to expand our presence there. This is a good opportunity for someone who enjoys meeting people and doing promotional outreach. The purpose of this position is to help us promote Queens by recruiting more Queens residents to volunteer as Greeters who will share the borough with more visitors, showing them its variety of neighborhoods and attractions.
Mission: Launched May 1992, Big Apple Greeter is an independent non-profit corporation. Its mission is to enhance New York City's worldwide image and enrich the New York experience by connecting visitors with knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteers. Policies and goals are set by a Board of Directors. A very small, dedicated staff and a committed corps of volunteers help Big Apple Greeter promote a friendly image of New York and create opportunities for New Yorkers to show pride in their city and give something back to the city.
Duties and Responsibilities: This person would:
- Compile lists of Queens-based organizations (Community Boards, universities, colleges, trade schools, senior centers, branch libraries, etc.).
- Reach out to these organizations, by phone, e-mail, or in person, to inform them of our mission and our work and to recruit volunteers. This might involve distributing brochures/flyers and/or making short presentations.
- Assist in identifying opportunities/locations for Greeter Outings and greets to Queens.
Qualifications: This person should:
- Be a good communicator
- Be outgoing and people-oriented
- Be detail-oriented, accurate, and flexible.
Time Commitment: 2 days or 4 half-days a week, flexible; minimum six-month commitment.
How To Apply
Contact: Alicia Pierro, 212-669-2364, firstname.lastname@example.org