Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
SKIP is a charity working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programmes focus on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
The Skatepark programme
SKIP is super excited about this project to run a new skate park which has just been built in a school by a fantastic partner organisation who will be handing over the long term running of the park to us. We will provide skateboarding lessons to children in mornings and afternoons, during their sports classes. In addition to learning about skateboarding, the children will also be responsible for keeping the skatepark area clear from trash, and watering and caring for the plants which surround it.
This project provides an opportunity for students to participate regularly and safely in the physical activity of skateboarding and to learn important social and interpersonal skills, contributing to psychological well-being, physical capacity, and the ability to cope with stress. Through this program we aim to foster physical exercise, self expression and develop positive socio-interactions.
The Skatepark Volunteer will conduct skateboarding classes several times per week at the skatepark, for children aged 6-18 years old.
We have a teaching curriculum which is currently being developed and will set out the structure for the classes. This role will be to actively engage the children in learning activities, as well as monitoring some free skating time where appropriate, for children to develop their own skills.
This position is part-time, so there will be the opportunity to be involved in the other programmes we run - see our website for more information
- Interest in sport and physical education
- Basic Spanish
- Passion for working with children
- Minimum 4 week commitment.
- Skateboarding experience & knowledge
- First Aid training
- Experience working with children.
- Intermediate Spanish
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can find bios for all of our permanent team on our website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers