AmeriCorps VISTA position for Community Engagement at SAVE
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Flint Hills Volunteer Center
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
AmeriCorps VISTA members make a full-time, one-year commitment to alleviate poverty in a particular community. Their role in alleviating poverty is to mobilize community resources, increase the capacity of the low-income community to achieve its goals, and ensure that the activities initiated or expanded as an AmeriCorps VISTA member are sustained by the community.
Program: The SAVE Farm is a teaching farm and healing center for transitioning service members and veterans whose mission is to:
- Provide accredited education and skills in a teaching farm environment
- Facilitate healing for those in need, helping service members regain life fulfilling purpose
- Assist in post-training placement on working farms.
Title: Community Engagement VISTA
Position Summary: This VISTA will help transitioning service members and veterans learn agricultural vocations. Major functions include building systems and structure to support the program to the public including development of partnership agreements, tracking and responding to public interest, and building information management systems.
- Assess the current state of community engagement and public awareness utilized by SAVE to improve its effectiveness and sustainability.
- Develop and implement a system to support the public’s awareness of service members in the program quarterly.
- Set up outreach systems and develop partnerships with community organizations, local businesses, and public education institutions to increase knowledge of SAVE.
- Develop informational marketing materials.
- Be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED.
- Be a US citizen or a permanent resident alien.
- Complete successful criminal history background check.
- Communicate well with people from a variety of backgrounds, including service members
- Own a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Applicant should hold a four-year degree in business, agricultural sciences or similar, or four years of relevant work experience, or a combination thereof.
- Independent worker
- Possess strong writing and organizational skills
- Experience with MS Office Suite, information management systems, and community partnerships.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided