Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Do you love using your hands and tools to repair vehicles? If you are gifted in working on vehicles, we need you to help maintain the JAARS operations and rental vehicles and, time permitting, help the missionaries with their vehicle needs.
Do you have a heart to support Bible Translation? In this position, you are helping JAARS make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
Come join our team to help support the work of Bible translation!
- · This is a full-time, volunteer or career staff that raises their support position
- · Able to work in US
- · Examine vehicle and discuss nature or extent of malfunction with operator
- · Plan work procedure, using technical manuals and experience
- · Place vehicle on ramps or hydraulic lift to gain access to mechanical components
- · Remove unit, such as engine, transmission, or differential, if complete dismantling is required
- · Disassemble unit, using hand tools
- · Examine parts for wear or defects, diagnosing whether reconditioning or replacement is necessary to ensure reliable, safe vehicle operation
- · Reassemble unit to manufacturer's specifications
- · Repair or replace auxiliary units such as water pump, alternator, starter motor or compressor
- · Adjust carburetor, brakes, lights, front-end alignment, etc., to specifications
- · Rewire portions of electrical system where defects exist
- · Maintain records of vehicle repairs, and plan periodic preventative maintenance such as oil and filter changes
- · May repair damaged bodywork and respray area, depending on skills
Requirements and Experience Desired
- · Must have experience as a mechanic and know the way around the shop, the tools to use, and how to carry out duties and work details
- · Self-starter and highly motivated by the love for missions
- · Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- · Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
JAARS is a 501(c) (3) non-profit Christian ministry located on a beautiful 500+ acre campus south of Charlotte, NC. We have nearly 100 guest housing units, recreational areas, a swimming pool, auto shop, mail room, library, cafeteria, RV Park, childcare facilities, and youth ministries.
We have a variety of campus operations, housed in 20 buildings, with more than 500 JAARS and partner organization staff serving. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and with other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
1. Seek God Above All
2. Serve in Love
3. Act with Integrity
4. Steward God’s Resources with Courage
5. Pursue Excellence
6. Collaborate with Respect
7. Create A Culture of Innovation
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
There are many key opportunities at JAARS for you to help make Bible translation possible around the world. Volunteers are a crucial part of every department; over 50% of the staff are volunteers. We could not provide significant technical and logistical support services without people like YOU!
You will gain a new vision for missions and realize the lasting value of how your practical and technical skills are helping to transform lives around the world. Build meaningful and potentially lasting relationships with fellow volunteers and career staff. In the winter months, volunteers gather regularly for events such as breakfasts and game nights.
Volunteers can serve from two weeks to many years. The types of positions available to you will depend on your abilities and especially, the length of your stay. For IT positions, a month of service is required. Longer-term volunteers are important in positions that require task continuity, training, or certifications.
- · Proof of health insurance
- · Be self-supported, or receive funds through another organization
- · Ages 14-17 may serve if accompanied by a responsible adult
- · Agreement with our Statement of Faith
- · U.S. citizen or green card holder
A variety of short-term to one-year, on-campus, fully-furnished housing units are available for volunteers who serve a minimum of 40 hours per week per couple, or 20 hours per week per single. Units include phones, WiFi, kitchens, bedding, and towels. An RV park with hookups is also available. Call housing for pricing and to make reservations. 704.843.6020