AmeriCorps Member: Communications/Program Development
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Literacy Volunteers of Illinois
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
30 East Adams
Under the direction of the Executive Director and in collaboration with other agency staff provides support to the various programs and activities of the Literacy Volunteers of Illinois.
• Assist with the administration and maintenance of the agency's web site, lvillinois.org;
• Assist with the development and production of promotional materials;
• Assist with the solicitation of prizes and silent auction items for LVI’s fall SCRABBLE for Literacy Challenge;
• Maintain data base on donated items and send thank you letters to donors;
• Participate in recruitment activities to generate volunteers for the Jump Start program and assist with other program-related PR activities;
• Answer e-mail queries and provide information to individuals interested in becoming tutors especially those interested in becoming involved with LVI’s Jump Start program;
• Assist as needed with administrative activities of LVI;
• May conduct research on public, private and individual giving and assist as needed with proposal writing and/or letters of inquiry;
• May work on special projects and initiatives;
This is an AmeriCorps position, which is a federal program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. The position requires 1,700 hours of service during a 12-month period. In return, members are offered a living allowance of $13,732 (annual) that is paid bi-weekly, health insurance and workers comp coverage. At the end of service, an educational award of $5,920 is offered along with student loan deferment during service.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Further information on the VOCAL program, AmeriCorps or Literacy Volunteers of Illinois may be found at www.lvillinois.org. Individuals can also apply online for the VOCAL program through the AmeriCorps webiste- Americorps.org. In addition to standard application information, the system also requests names and e-mail addresses for two references. Interested individuals may also call LVI at 312/857-1582.