A few hours per week
Brand New Congress is a political action committee (PAC) dedicated to running candidates for political office on a post-partisan platform that appeals to average Americans across the country. Our focus right now is the 2018 midterm election, and we are currently supporting 29 candidates in their run for Congress.
Our candidates pledge to support the platform in its entirety, thus creating a unified national voice where people can vote their conscience, and not for the personality or party of the politician. That's why we're running Democrats, Republicans, and Independents who believe in and support the populist reforms found in our platform, thereby dispensing with political labels.
Furthermore, our candidates pledge to refuse corporate PAC and corporate lobbyist money. All of our candidates accept small-dollar donations averaging $13 per person. Our majority volunteer-led organization works tirelessly towards this goal by recruiting and endorsing Democrats, Republicans, and Independents who will make up our pre-formed caucus to enact the common-sense legislation for which Americans have been waiting. Laws that invest in renewable energy, end mass incarceration, and guarantee a living wage is way overdue. Average citizens want to see these ideas put into action, and the political and corporate classes have consistently stood in the way of that vision.To learn more, visit brandnewcongress.org
Volunteer Role Description:
To work with the press team to help increase visibility of candidates, communicate campaign messaging to media and work to increase awareness of our candidates, and the messaging of Brand New Congress through national and local media outreach.
To work with Press Director and other members of the Communications team to:
- Help tell the story of Brand New Congress’ mission, the movement and BNC candidates
- Write content such as editorials and blog posts, create infographics, general news stories and other original content for BNC website, Social Media and to pitch to media outlets
- Draft and edit press materials
- Research Brand New Congress and specific candidates for unearned press hits
- Track and log earned media press hits
- Coordinate with social media to inform of new stories and mentions
- Schedule candidates and nominees for press training sessions
- Help create regional contacts list for local media
- Attend regular check-in and updates regarding media outreach and strategy
- Update and maintain press contacts lists
- Attend communications teams meeting
- Utilize BNC tools to reach Press Team outreach and tracking goals
- Help with press outreach on both social media, through phone calls and press releases
- Help with building a substantial press list of potential reporters and organizations who regularly cover political issues and movements.
5+ hours available per week.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Press Team" as the subject.
In your message, include:
- A short description of how you found BNC and your interest in the organization or platform
- Writing sample (something related to press communication, preferred)
Feel free to reach out with any and all questions.