Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1661 Nicholas Road
Job Description/Purpose: To clean cat cages and dog kennels on an on-going or on-call basis. Provide fresh bedding, toys, water and food to the animals. Observe behavior and health and alerts the staff to any issues which may affect the animal’s adoptability.
- Clean assigned area including removal of fecal matter and debris and wiping, hosing and disinfecting animal enclosures
- Handle animals in assigned cleaning areas · Follow cleaning protocol and disease control and isolation procedures for sick and healthy animals · Work with animal care staff to ensure healthy and safety of the animals
- Observe behavior and physical attributes or problems, if any and alert staff to any problems or concerns.
Qualifications: Training is required prior to volunteering.
Commitment: Variable. Some may help regularly and others may only be available on an on-call basis. Volunteers must complete a shift at least 4 hours a month to remain on team.
- Ability and desire to represent the Humane Society of Greater Dayton
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Some dog or cat knowledge and experience ·
- Ability and desire to work hands on with dogs or cats.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Must be aware of potentially dangerous situations when working with the animals and people.
- Ability to deal with strong chemicals, including disinfectants used for cleaning
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be able to lift at least 15lbs
- Must be available in the mornings starting at 9:00am
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers