A few hours per month
2938 Prosperity Ave.
Every year, 100 billion pounds of food are thrown away in the United States. At the same time, 49 million Americans go hungry. Food for Others is working to change both of these statistics. We are looking for gleaning volunteers to help recover excess produce from farms, so that we may distribute it to those in need.
If you are interested in spending the day picking fruits and veggies on some of Virginia’s most beautiful farms and orchards, this is the volunteer opportunity for you!
Gleaning volunteers will provide their own transportation to and from farms within 1.5 hours of Fairfax, VA. Once on the farm,they will spend ~4 hours picking excess crops that our partner farms have so generously allowed us to harvest.
- Must be able to bend over for extended periods of time and lift 20+ pounds
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Must have your own transportation to the farm
- Must commit to a full day on the farm (3 hours+ driving time)
- Must be respectful of the land-- do not litter, smoke, or wander off the designated gleaning area
- Passionate about food is a plus!
If you’re interested in signing up to glean, please text FARMS to 844-83 and follow the link below to register. Please email Grace (email@example.com) with questions.
Please note that there will be multiple gleaning dates in the spring, summer and fall. Due to varying crop yields and harvesting schedules, we usually will not be able to give more than a couple weeks notice before a gleaning event.
- International Volunteers