Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
6016-20 N. Nina Avenue
Pokeno is almost like Bingo but played with playing cards. Players match the number and suit and place a chip on their board. Each player has their own board. If a player has completed a row across, down or diagonally he or she calls out "Pokeno".
Volunteers are needed to assist residents as they play the game. Residents need varied kinds of assistance; some with seeing their Pokeno board, some have hearing loss and some physically may need a volunteer's help in placing their tokens on their board.
Staff also needs assistance from volunteers to transport residents via wheel chair or accompany them as they walk to and from Pokeno.
Enriching the lives of our residents: Our residents are most appreciative of volunteers who help in this capacity and it is a nice time to socialize and spend time with them. Many volunteers and residents form friendships which enhance the lives of both.
At norVOLution, our mission is to provide meaningful volunteer experiences for all members of our community.
Benefits of your commitment:
• You will make a difference in the lives of our senior residents
• Have fun and make friends with residents, staff, & volunteers
• For the residents - it boosts memory, reduces stress, improves cognitive function, and brings joy to our residents
• Must be passionate about volunteering, friendly and considerate.
• Able to safely transport residents in their wheelchairs (training provided)
• Able to commit to being here on time.
• Advance notice of absences is most helpful to staff.
• Interpersonal flexibility required working with other volunteers and you need to be able to take direction from lead volunteer and staff.
• Must support the goal of norVOLution and Norwood Life Society to enrich the lives of members of our community including the seniors we serve, our volunteers, the staff, and the community at large.
- Training Provided