Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Do you love creating meals for others’ enjoyment? Do you love watching cooking shows on TV and trying new recipes? This could be your position!
JAARS Food Service needs a Kitchen Assistant to help in the preparation of snacks and lunch for guests and staff. Your service will be a part of how JAARS makes Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
Come join our fun and creative team!
Responsible for assisting Food Service Manager in preparing and serving meals and snacks.
- · For a part-time volunteer or career staff person who raises support
- · Able to work in US
- · Prepare food and snacks, serve meals, and maintain cleanliness in kitchen, following strict hygiene, health, and safety rules
- · Clean and sanitize tables and equipment
- · Ensure that leftovers are properly cooled, labeled, and stored or discarded if necessary
- · Be friendly and courteous while serving food to guests
- · May be assigned to specific duties, such as preparation of salads
- · Take responsibility for delegated activities and bring them to completion
- · Provide assistance in kitchen where needed or as designated
- · May have more than one area of responsibility
- · May assist with preparations for and service during special functions, such as buffet lunches and JAARS Day
- · Maintain equipment and facilities in accordance with national health regulations
- · Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- · Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education & Experience
- · Willingness to serve
- · Carry out tasks quickly and competently
- · Follow instructions
- · Ability to walk, stand, and be on feet for several hours
- · Use your initiative and work in a team
- · Interest in food service area
- · Food preparation experience helpful
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry located on a beautiful 500+ acre campus south of Charlotte, NC. We have nearly 100 guest housing units, recreational areas, a swimming pool, auto shop, mailroom, library, cafeteria, RV Park, childcare facilities, and youth ministries.
We have a variety of campus operations, housed in 20 buildings, with more than 500 JAARS and partner organization staff serving. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and with other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
1. Seek God Above All
2. Serve in Love
3. Act with Integrity
4. Steward God’s Resources with Courage
5. Pursue Excellence
6. Collaborate with Respect
7. Create a Culture of Innovation
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
There are many key opportunities at JAARS for you to help make Bible translation possible around the world. Volunteers are a crucial part of every department; over 50% of the staff are volunteers. We could not provide significant technical and logistical support services without people like YOU!
You will gain a new vision for missions and realize the lasting value of how your practical and technical skills are helping to transform lives around the world. Build meaningful and potentially lasting relationships with fellow volunteers and career staff. In the winter months, volunteers gather regularly for events such as breakfasts and game nights.
Volunteers can serve from two weeks to many years. The types of positions available to you will depend on your abilities and especially, the length of your stay. For IT positions, a month of service is required. Longer-term volunteers are important in positions that require task continuity, training, or certifications.
- · Proof of health insurance
- · Be self-supported, or receive funds through another organization
- · Ages 14-17 may serve if accompanied by a responsible adult
- · Agreement with our Statement of Faith
A variety of short-term to one-year, on-campus, fully-furnished housing units are available for volunteers who serve a minimum of 40 hours per week per couple, or 20 hours per week per single. Units include phones, WiFi, kitchens, bedding, and towels. An RV park with hookups is also available. Call housing for pricing and to make reservations. 704.843.6020