21st CCLC Program Assistant - Changemaker High School - AmeriCorps
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Arizona Serve
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
CHANGEMAKER HIGH SCHOOL
21st CCLC Program Assistant
900 Hour Position
Approximately 20-25 hours/week
Service Location: Tucson, AZ
Service Dates: September 4, 2018 – June 30, 2019
I. ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND BACKGROUND
Changemaker High School’s mission is To Create Student Leaders Who Turn Ideas Into Action. Our vision is to prepare all students for college, career, civic engagement, and leadership.
Dream It, Do It is a school-wide changemaker project that emphasizes the core competencies of empathy, problem solving, teamwork, and leadership. This project will create four incubator hubs of learning at Changemaker High School (CMHS). The four hubs include an Art Incubator/Creativity Lab, a Restorative Ecology Lab, a Changemaker Innovation Lab, and an A+ Credit Recovery Lab. Changemaker students, with the assistance of teachers, parents, and community experts, will develop these hubs as part of the school to engage CMHS students as well as middle school youth at select partnering middle schools. AmeriCorps members will train students from partnering middle schools, both at their home school and on the CMHS campus. They will also implement workshops and trainings to help guide students through the creation of youth-led projects and ventures that address multiple issues related to art and culture, environmental responsibility, and closing the achievement gap.
(1) 900 hour AmeriCorps member will be dedicated to assisting Site Coordinator with 21st Century Community Learning Center Program.
II. PROJECT FOCUS AREAS AND ACTIVITIES
A. Support Hubs of Learning:
The AmeriCorps member will play a support role in each of the hubs of learning. They will work with students, teachers, community members over the summer to engage in student, class, school, and neighborhood-based projects. They will also work collaboratively with CMHS community to host summer Innovation Camps and to maintain efforts related to the first developing Changemaker Challenge.
Assist with the implementation of curriculum, instruction, and assessment programs in the after-school classroom and assists with monitoring the instructional delivery to targeted students. Consults with the Community Enrichment administration, principals, and teachers to ensure the program goals are being met.
III. REQUIREMENTS AND BENEFITS
Education, Skills and Abilities
· High School diploma or GED, currently pursuing a college degree
· Ability to work as a part of a team
· Be responsible and punctual
· Have strong organizational skills
· Experience/Desire to work with High School Aged Youth
· Experience/Desire to work in an innovative and collaborative environment
· Willingness to engage in work on the school campus and in the local community
· Skilled in tutoring, mentorship, team building, and community organizing
· Knowledgeable or willing to become knowledgeable in the areas of Social Entrepreneurship, Changemaking, and Social Emotional Learning
· Knowledgeable of photo/video documentation and social media management
· Previous experience working with youth during after-school programs
· Previous experience preparing students for AIMS/AzMERIT
AmeriCorps State Member Benefits (900 hour)
· $6,265 living allowance during term of service
· Upon completion of service, part-time (900 hour) AmeriCorps members receive a $2,907.50 education award that can be applied to educational costs or student loans
· Members participate in 10 (2-hour) trainings that qualify them for a Certificate in Civic Leadership and 4 college credits from Prescott College
· Team support and coaching
Arizona Serve is committed to implementing inclusive practices in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Those who have marginalized identities, whether or not those identities provide protected status, are encouraged to apply.
Prescott College is a proud participant in the Employers of National Service initiative. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided