A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
8804 Balboa Avenue
The Financial Literacy program at Jewish Family Service seeks to provide financial education to individuals with a demonstrated need. The goal of the program is promote financial literacy and long term financial stability. This position serves a variety of clients including those receiving financial assistance through JFS and those participating in our loan programs.
Goal of Position:
Concern and respect for the hard work and commitment of clients who struggle financially is at the heart of the program. Car Ownership Instructors share their expertise in order to assist families in protecting the investment they have made by purchasing a car. Instructors lead a class on basic car maintenance and upkeep.
• Benefit in knowing that your time and talent are making a significant impact in the lives of families within your community.
• Ability to directly impact those individuals that may be new car owners.
• Attend and lead Car Ownership classes a minimum of once a month. Classes are approximately two hours in length.
• Follow the JFS course curriculum that covers the topic of general car maintenance
• Conduct two-hour workshops, engage attendees, and perform pre- and post- survey evaluations.
• Refer clients to work individually with a JFS Volunteer Money Coach as appropriate.
• Act as a liaison between programs at Jewish Family Service and the community.
• Ability to attend and present at scheduled Cor Ownership classes.
• Knowledge of basic car maintenance. A curriculum will be provided for instuctors to follow.
• Passion for JFS and commitment to helping families achieve self-sufficiency and Independence.
• Bilingual Spanish speakers are preferred.
1. Must be able to provide own transportation to the JFS Joan & Irwin Jacobs Family campus or community-based courses as mutually established between volunteer and program coordinator.
2. Must be available to instruct evening classes.
3. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
• Three months to one year of service .
• Attendance at scheduled class (two hours long), to be held at mutually agreed upon dates and times – one class per month.
• Classes will most likely be 6-8 pm to accommodate working professionals.
Jewish Family Service
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Hand Up CARS Program Coordinator