Volunteer with Legal Hand Highbridge and Legal Hand Tremont!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Legal Hand
Bronx, NY, USA
Are you an active member of this community?
Want to make positive change?
Then become a Legal Hand volunteer!
Legal Hand, a community legal resource center with storefront centers in Brooklyn, the Bronx
and Queens is seeking volunteers for our Bronx sites!
Legal Hand Volunteers provide legal information, assistance, and referrals from the storefront
offices. Volunteers play an important role in Legal Hand’s mission to improve access to justice
in low-income communities by directing people with civil legal problems to effective resources
and ensuring they know their rights in a given situation. Volunteers are trained at no cost,
learning valuable advocacy and legal skills. Legal Hand volunteers come from all backgrounds
and walks of life— from college students to retirees, and no experience in legal work is
necessary. Volunteers will operate out of easy-to-find, neighborhood storefront centers in
Highbridge and Tremont.
Volunteers will be paid a stipend of $15 per shift to cover transportation. (1 shift = 3 hours)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete trainings in a variety of legal issue areas, including immigration, family law, housing, benefits, and employment
- Assist residents with variety of legal issues by completing intake, filling out and filing paperwork
- Track client information in computer database consistently and accurately
- Conduct outreach to advertise the program
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 3 hours per week in our office for minimum of 6 months
- Interest in public interest law and community organizing
- Must be 18 and over]
- Desire to help members of the community resolve their problems
- Must speak fluent English; ability to speak Spanish a plus, but not required
- Must have strong computer literacy and comfort
- Knowledge of NYC benefits a plus
Legal Hand will be holding a Two Day Training you are required to attend in order to volunteer. Here are the details:
When: Day 1 - Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 5:30pm - 8pm
Agenda: Family Law, Public Benefits & Housing.
Day 2 - Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 5:30pm - 8pm
Agenda: Database: Zendesk
Dinner and beverages will be provided both evenings.
Where: Center for Court Innovation
520 8th Ave
New York, NY 10018
*Please bring ID in order to enter the building.
With Who: Legal Hand - Center for Court Innovation
For more information, or with any questions, please contact:
James 929.222.2015 | email@example.com
Erica 917.536.6923 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided