Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Since 1992, project:HOMES has improved the quality of life and housing conditions for low-income Central Virginians through critical home repairs, accessibility modifications, energy efficiency upgrades, and quality affordable homes. The VISTA will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, local/statewide leaders, and the Virginia Housing Alliance to (1) Develop resources to increase development capacity and enhance organizations stability; (2) Enhance community engagement in affordable housing efforts; (3) Improve data quality and use in decision-making; and (4) Promote best practices in affordable housing development. The VISTA member will analyze the current procedures and forms, and make improvements. The VISTA member will collaborate with the Director of Volunteer Services and programs staff to further develop and refine the implementation of the Immediate Response Fund.
The Virginia Housing Alliance (VHA), state and national partners, and our service provider partners across Virginia are working to expand affordable housing opportunities through education, advocacy, training, and capacity building. The VISTA project provides the human capital necessary to provide on the ground support to agencies developing, providing or otherwise supporting affordable housing, while engaging VISTA Members in meeting the need for and challenges to affordable housing. VISTA Members are placed in agencies across the state and provide key leadership, guidance, and direction to help VHA's local partners achieve greater impact for their clients. The VHA VISTA Project has a cohort of 14 VISTA Members serving across Virginia who meet quarterly or in-person.
- Commitment to a one-year service term, 40 hours per week, starting August 21st, 2018.
- Must be 18+ years of age and a US Citizen, National, or Legal Resident.
- Ability to live in the Richmond area
- Associates degree or higher
- Car recommended
- Looking for applicants with organization and communication skills who are committed, passionate, and quick learners, and who take initiative and think critically.
Benefits of Service
- Living allowance to cover all basic expenses
- Relocation allowance if applicable
- Choice of Education Award of End-of-Service Cash Stipend
- Loan forbearance/deferment
- Health Coverage (find more information at http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare)
- VISTA Leader support; Orientation; Training; Professional Development
- See a full list of AmeriCorps VISTA Service Benefits: http://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Applicants must submit an AmeriCorps application to be considered. Apply to the AmeriCorps listing and submit two professional references through the application system.