HIP AmeriCorps Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Hunger Intervention Program
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
3841 NE 123rd St
Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) is an award winning 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that strives to increase food security for under-served populations in North King County, through nutritious meals, educational programs, and advocacy. As a meal service provider, HIP provides vital meals to our neighbors, young and old, through programs like our Healthy HIP Packs, Afterschool Snacks, Summer Meals for Kids, and Senior Meals. HIP offers offer various nutrition education classes and activities, gardening programs, and cooking demonstrations for children, adults, and families throughout the year. Additionally, HIP actively participates in many coalitions to advocate for food justice issues, locally and nationally.
HIP is hiring for two AmeriCorps positions.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The 2018-19 HIP AmeriCorps Nutrition Program Coordinator will play an integral role at HIP, providing direct services to the Lake City and greater North Seattle communities. This position requires someone with a passion for food security & Food justice and is a proactive, motivated, well-organized and culturally competent individual with the ability to communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds. The AmeriCorps member will participate in our Healthy HIP Packs program, Cooking Matters classes, Summer Meals as well as other organization activities.
HEALTHY HIP PACKS PROGRAM (35%)
This program provides healthy meals to families that struggle to access enough food for their children when school meals are not available during the weekends. Responsibilities include:
· Assist with monthly planning including but not limited to maintaining inventory, planning menu, and compiling food needs and finalizing packs for distribution each week.
· Coordinate two monthly packing parties including but not limited to communicating with volunteers, ensuring equipment and materials are available, overseeing clean up and proper storage.
· Create weekly newsletter and additional materials for HIP Packs.
· Communicate regularly with school contacts, volunteers, and community partners.
· Assist with fundraising projects for program expansion (to comprise no more than 10% of member's total hours).
Nutrition Education (35%)
HIP offers a comprehensive nutrition class series to local families including six-week Cooking Matters classes and food justice workshops. Responsibilities include:
· Coordinate with host sites all the logistics and participant recruitment
· Recruit volunteers for each class, coordinate, and assist with training
· Prepare menus, procuring food, and planning each class activities
· Coordinate the classes
· Conduct surveys and do reporting
SUMMER MEALS PROGRAM (20%)
Every summer, HIP provides free meals to kids and teens, at multiple locations in north Seattle and Shoreline, along with many child-friendly activities in partnership with many other local organizations. Responsibilities include:
· Coordinate volunteer recruitment and training for the Summer Meals Program
· Assign volunteer duties for meal sites and meal prep and supervise volunteers
· Provide support for Summer Meals preparation, outreach, and delivery as required.
· Assist with nutrition focused activities for kids and youth at meal sites.
GENERAL HIP DUTIES (10%)
In addition to the above mentioned programs, the AmeriCorps members will be serving with other HIP staff in a variety of roles including volunteer recruitment, reporting, fundraising, donor outreach, and food procurement and storage related to their programs. Specific responsibilities may include:
· Serve alongside volunteers, maintain volunteer data and assist with volunteer recruitment.
· Assist HIP staff with food ordering, tracking, storage and menu planning.
· Ensure the safety of food and comply with local health and safety standards
· Assist with food preparation as needed
· Ensure food and supplies are properly stored and maintained.
· Assist with senior meals program as needed
· Contribute to organizational outreach including mailings and social media presence specific to their program
· Additional duties as required.
· Knowledge of the fundamentals of cooking, following recipes and how to 'troubleshoot' food production issues.
· Familiarity with food production equipment.
· Demonstrated food safety and sanitation knowledge.
· Passion for serving diverse clients, staff and volunteers.
· Demonstrated ability to serve independently and as a team member.
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations.
· Excellent oral and written skills and ease in talking to the public.
· Excellent computer skills.
· Well organized, detail oriented, and able to successfully multi-task.
· Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus.
· Must be able to safely lift 50 pounds, reach, bend, stand or kneel repeatedly.
· Must have or obtain a current Washington State Food Handler's Permit.
· Must pass the Washington State Patrol background check and FBI check.
· Must have a current Washington State Driver's License, clean driving record, and current liability insurance.
HOURS REQUIREMENT, STIPEND, & BENEFITS
This is a full time AmeriCorps volunteer position with the Washington Service Corps (WSC). It is a 10 ½ month position with a 1700 hours requirement (average of 40 hours per week). Member will receive the following benefits:
· Living stipend (provided by WSC)
· AmeriCorps health insurance
· Subsidized child care if qualified
· Training opportunities
· Education Award provided by National Service Trust upon successful completion of the member's term of service and 1700 hours of service
COMPENSATION this is a volunteer position with living stipend from WSC (see above)
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Apply online at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=62251
Please apply online following the link above. In addition, also fill out this short form specific to the position at HIP: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1s-0L3fB2-v3HyLrV108g7cxNxDu40Gz8bcl92a8AHgM/viewform.
Hiring will happen on a rolling basis until positions are filled. Apply early.