Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Mayta Capac, Rio Seco
SKIP is a charity working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic program focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
The Volunteer Coordination team overseas SKIP’s volunteering programme, equivalent to a Human Resources department. Formed by the Volunteer Coordination Manager and a small group of Volunteer Leaders, they organise the team of volunteers at SKIP as well as managing prospective volunteers.
What Does a Volunteer Leader Do?
Volunteer Leaders are positioned between volunteers and Coordinators, meaning they are responsible for the day-to-day coordination of volunteers while reporting to the Volunteer Manager. Organising an ever changing team of volunteers that work and live together is a huge challenge, making this a unique role perfect for those looking for experience in management, human resources and administration, as well as being part of the inner workings of an International NGO.
Volunteer Leaders spend 50% of their time in the Volunteer Coordination Team and 50% in the SKIP programmes working directly within the community. There are options to combine roles so it is possible to be engaged in several programmes. Click here to read more about our programmes.
- Participate in volunteer recruitment
- Welcome and settle volunteers into housing and the programme
- Provide inductions to volunteers
- Organise social activities for volunteers
- Check on volunteer well being
- Motivate the team
- Run and maintain volunteer housing
- Facilitate volunteer feedback
This role is perfect for someone with previous experience of volunteering who is looking to learn more about international development. We are looking for energetic, self-motivated, self-learners who are ready to take on responsibility and work hard.
The benefits of collaborating with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- Accommodation in volunteer housing
- Experience in the management of a grassroots organisation working directly in the community
- A thorough induction to the organisation, programmes and specific role
- Structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can read bios for all the permanent team here
- Mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- The chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community.
- A reference upon satisfactory completion of the volunteer placement
- The volunteer contribution fees are waived for this position
- Minimum intermediate level of Spanish AND English
- Some higher education
- Minimum commitment of 9 months
- Previous volunteering and travel experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish and/or English.
- Degree in Education, International Development, Social Sciences, Communications, Management or related field, or 5 years experience working in a related field.
- Previous experience working in international volunteer organisations
- Previous experience living in a developing country
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers