A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Food Bank for the Heartland
10525 J Street
<img src="//:0" height="57" width="264">
Volunteer Position Description
Title: Street Team Member
Brief Description of Organization
SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as the food stamp program. SNAP Outreach is a cooperative effort through Food Bank for the Heartland and the Food Bank of Lincoln. Our program helps eligible citizens across Nebraska who meet the stringent requirements apply for this valuable nutrition assistance, through our SNAP Hotline and in-person outreach. In fiscal year 2017, our outreach specialists helped more than 7,500 Nebraska households receive benefits. SNAP provides $241 million back to Nebraska’s economy.
The Food Bank’s SNAP Program strives to reach every person in Nebraska that qualifies for food assistance. One of the ways the Street Team can help make that happen is by increasing knowledge about this program in our local communities through canvassing. The more people know about food assistance, the better chance there is that they will seek the help for which they are eligible.
By working in the community and meeting people face-to-face, members of the Street Team will be making a difference in peoples’ lives every day, and might even be the reason a family is lifted out of hunger by providing them with a tool to help themselves – our SNAP Hotline!
- Canvassing at local businesses and hotspots
- Driving to predetermined locations around town
- Hanging up SNAP flyers
- Interacting with members of the community
- Representing and raising awareness of our program
Measures: We will measure the success of this position by keeping track of where our Street Team has put up flyers to ensure we canvass as many areas as possible.
- Personal transportation
- Flexible schedule
- Comfortable approaching and engaging with the public
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus
Time Frame: Minimum commitment of 2 hours or more per month for 3 months
Site: Predetermined locations will vary; one shift will include visits to multiple businesses and hotspots.
Supervision: This position will be supervised by our Volunteer Capacity Building VISTA.
Benefits Gained by Volunteer
- The chance to engage with local communities
- In-depth training and orientation on the Federal SNAP program and Nebraska guidelines
- The potential for a professional reference from a well-known and reputable non-profit, if the minimum requirements are met!
- Pride in bringing valuable assistance to our food insecure populations
Contact Info and Next Steps
If you are interested contact Asefa Zebene at firstname.lastname@example.org and apply to be a Nebraska SNAP Volunteer under Get Food/SNAP.
- Training Provided